Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Durst 138 Enlargements

Durst 138 Enlargements

I recently purchased a Durst 138 with an Ilford 500 head.

I have downloaded from this site http://www.jensen-optical.us/PDF_FIL...0%20Manual.pdf the condenser arrangement for various negative sizes and lens. When using both the 240 condensers the enlargement is only a vertical portion of the 5x7 neg and is not more than a 6x10 enlargement on the easel using the proper 210mm lens.

I am using 240 condenser without letters at the end, i.e. 240R

Any thoughts

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Re: Durst 138 Enlargements

Steve,, no such thing as a proper lens,,, you don't need a "normal" lens

I use a 240mm Rodigon on an 8x10" enlarger and it works fine + I get a bigger image

as you know a proper "normal" lens for 810 is 315mm

wfwhitaker

The Durst 138 has an adjustable internal mask operated by knobs near the negative stage. Are the mask blades all the way open?

I don't understand your question about the condensers. If you're using an Ilford 500 head, you would not be using any condensers. But if you're using the condenser head in its original configuration, you would use condensers. There should be two of them, both 240's (for 5x7) and should be oriented so that the curved surfaces are together facing each other.
    Last edited by wfwhitaker; 14-Feb-2009 at 09:56.

Yes, the MG500 head illuminates a 4x5" area, so it's not useable for 5x7". If you try it without the MG head and use the normal mirrored light instead, the ordinary lamp bulb should give you a fully lit area. All it takes is to adjust the lamp into the correct position so that the full area is evenly lit.

//Björn

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn Nilsson View Post
    Yes, the MG500 head illuminates a 4x5" area, so it's not useable for 5x7". If you try it without the MG head and use the normal mirrored light instead, the ordinary lamp bulb should give you a fully lit area. All it takes is to adjust the lamp into the correct position so that the full area is evenly lit.

//Björn
    I want to be clear on this, the 500 head does not cover a 5x7 neg? This is a 138 purchased and outfitted for a major university with no concern for $$ way back when.

Thanks, Steve

wfwhitaker

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    I want to be clear on this, the 500 head does not cover a 5x7 neg?
    Some Ilford 500 units were designed for 8x10. I don't know if any were designed for 5x7, but it could be possible. Most Ilford 500 heads are for 4x5 with mixing boxes for smaller formats. What size is your mixing box (what size is the piece of diffusing acrylic at the bottom)?

As usual, pictures would be a help.

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker View Post
    Some Ilford 500 units were designed for 8x10. I don't know if any were designed for 5x7, but it could be possible. Most Ilford 500 heads are for 4x5 with mixing boxes for smaller formats. What size is your mixing box (what size is the piece of diffusing acrylic at the bottom)?

As usual, pictures would be a help.
    The attached pix show I am assuming the mixing box which measure 3.25" across the illuminating face. Last pix shows the mixing box in place with each color blub positioned against the mix box while middle pix show that the two halogen bulbs are actually mounted on a sliding bar allowing for another 1" + of outward movement on either side.

I am guessing that if a new mixing box were replicated to larger dimensions than the light source would indeed cover 5x7.

Lastly, the two throats where the two condensers go would have to be covered.

Thanks all for your thoughts

Cheers, Steve

wfwhitaker

As best I can judge from the photos, that is a 4x5 head. If that is the case, then there is not room to accommodate a 5x7 mixing box; 4x5 is the largest it was designed for. Based on your dimension, the mixing box in the photo looks like the one for 6x9 cm.

To use the Ilford head on the Durst, the condenser head would need to be removed. There would then be no need to cover the slots where the condensers go. There should be some sort of plate or adapter to hold the Ilford head in place above the negative carrier. Without it, there's nowhere to put the head. A machine shop could make one fairly easily. I had an adapter plate made several years ago so I could put a variety of heads on my 5x7 Durst. It bolts in place of the condenser head.

But before you go to any further expense, it would be good to know exactly what equipment you do have on hand for this. I'm getting the feeling that perhaps the Ilford head was not used on the Durst by the previous owner. It may have migrated from another enlarger. But I'm speculating. If you don't have all the parts, it's not the end of the world; it'll just slow you down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker View Post
    ........ there is not room to accommodate a 5x7 mixing box; 4x5 is the largest it was designed for. Based on your dimension, the mixing box in the photo looks like the one for 6x9 cm.......
    Indeed that mixing chamber looks small.
    I would hazard a guess that Yale may have had the unit setup for a very specific purpose or task.

As Will mention, how best to get from there to where you want to go is the question.
    I have seen, in pictures from an E bay listing, an Ilford head that had mixing box that slide into the condenser area of the 138 and the multigrade head sat on top of it. The mirror housing was removed and the entire unit slides down the resulting "hole".

As I say, I have never seen this first hand, only images from an old E bay listing.

Will, could we ask to see an image or two of your setup, it sounds brilliant.

Steve, I have both a Ilford 500 head om a D5 and a Durst 138. As others have said, the largest negative you can use with the 500 head is 4x5. There is not 5x7 mixing chamber and I can nnot see anyway to modify the 500 head to cover 5x7