Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To anyone who uses pocket wizards.

To anyone who uses pocket wizards.

Hey!

Just wondering where you place your pocket wizards on your LF cameras... Do you just tie the Hand Strap around the lens or let it dangle.. or just hold it... or velcro on the lens board and stick it on that?

If anyone could say how they do it, that would be great!

Dave.

Re: To anyone who uses pocket wizards.

i do a loop with the cable round the triopd and let it hang down from there, thus ensuring that the connection does not get tugged.

Vanannan

What is a pocket wizard?, perhaps a tiny version of Harry Potter?

Pocket wizards are used to sync with flashes wirelessly, so no sync chords or anything, you can put flashes pretty far away (1600ft or something) and they fire, only thing is their expensive. Worth it for the photography I do I spose!

www.pocketwizard.com

I use a cheapie ripoff radio trigger on a Sinar monorail and mount it on an otherwise useless doodad that clamps round the rail and provides a small platform and a 1/4-20 screw. A PC-hotshoe adapter with a tripod thread in the bottom and I'm good to go.

Sinar F and P models had a hotshoe/accessory shoe adapter that fitted into the slots in the sides of the format frames. If you wanted to do something similar with a Norma like mine you could screw a simple adapter into the top of the standard uprights.

Scott Davis

The one time I used one, I looped the little hand-strap to the front standard of my Canham 5x7 Woodfield, then let it dangle where it may, since I wasn't moving the camera very much, and it was just as easy to focus with the rear standard. That said, i didn't like them very much- shooting LF, I didn't have the need for the mobility they provide, so they did nothing for me that a $20 sync cord could do, other than lighten my wallet by another $350 or so.

Mine sits in a hotshoe extender in the hotshoe (Horseman HD). It can't sit directly in the hotshoe because it shorts the PW, but works great in a small extender commonly used with any 35mm camera. I do all the testing with a digital (Canon 5D) and use the 35mm film camera(s) and the 4x5 when I like the exposure and images.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

I usually just hang it off the focus or swing locks. don't want to stress the pc socket or cord.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

A rubber band makes a good "safe" loop that will break first if the transmitter snags on something, and you can just twist it around a standard or knob, depending how active you are with the camera.

I got tired of hanging my PW's off of my movement controls:

So, I use a Manfrotto utility spring clamp that does everything, and includes a small ball head with a shoe mount. Not only can this thing be clamped to any surface or view camera, it can also mount strobes, mount onto light stands, and also mount brolly shafts etc. Among other things, I clamp it to my camera support and it holds my Pocket Wizards at any angle, where I need them - easy to fire manually, etc. Brilliant.

Action shot: http://www.manvsbigmachine.com/users...o_clamp_pw.jpg

Not cheap, but wholly industrial and endlessly useful - does anything in a pinch; saves lives. I want two more.

You can get them on eBay, this is exactly what I'm talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110314366542

Cheers!