Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are scanners developed anymore?

Re: Are scanners developed anymore?

What do you want to scan, Dave?

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    I need a good scanner, are there some "best buys" out there?

Every graphic designer is still going to need a flatbed to scan reflective flat art, and adding a transparency module is a value-added "professional" feature. Since governments and institutions would never buy anything used, there will always be a market for scanners. But since the main customers may be Obam-- err institutional -- expect to pay 2-3x more than a consumer.

If they were more decently priced the Imacons would be a good alternative.

Walter

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    As scanners gradually disappear copying negatives and chromes can be done using a digital camera equipped with a closeup lens and a backlighted setup....

I agree Nathan. Recently I was surprised to learn just how well my Canon G10 could "scan" transparencies on a light table. I used a tripod of course and a Cabin light table for backlighting. This setup provided very nice documentation of my work; something that is nice to have tucked away if you send your precious exposures away to a scanning service.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    I need a good scanner, are there some "best buys" out there?
    This guy - greg.welch5@verizon.net - just posted a sale of an Aztek DPL 8000 (1/23/09) for 4K on the Scan High End list. That is a huge bargain if its in good shape... it apparently includes drums and mounting station.

Caveat: I don't know this fellow, never met him, I know nothing about this piece of equipment. This is a referral of something I found in another list and not a recommendation of the particular machine. You have to do the research to find out whether its real, etc. You can ask Aztek if they know him, if the machine has been serviced - they are usually very helpful with this kind of info.

If the machine is in good order, this scanner is very hard to beat.

You can contact me off line if you want some more info...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

With the caveats Lenny has mentioned I agree that for the price this is would be a great scanner. If I had not already lost so much income from the collapse of the market I would be all over this. Even as is I am tempted.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    This guy - greg.welch5@verizon.net - just posted a sale of an Aztek DPL 8000 (1/23/09) for 4K on the Scan High End list. That is a huge bargain if its in good shape... it apparently includes drums and mounting station.

Caveat: I don't know this fellow, never met him, I know nothing about this piece of equipment. This is a referral of something I found in another list and not a recommendation of the particular machine. You have to do the research to find out whether its real, etc. You can ask Aztek if they know him, if the machine has been serviced - they are usually very helpful with this kind of info.

If the machine is in good order, this scanner is very hard to beat.

You can contact me off line if you want some more info...

Lenny

I have critical stuff scanned by a professional house. Prices are so reasonable these days that it wouldn't pay for me to have my own high-end scanner.
    Mike

That's not exactly true, I'm a graphic designer, I own a V750 but since I got a drum scanner for my film work the V750 hasn't been used for anything and it'll end up on Ebay as soon as I can get round to listing it. I don't need a flatbed scanner, if I have reflect flat art to digitise I use my Sony a900 to photograph it, no flatbed scanner required!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Every graphic designer is still going to need a flatbed to scan reflective flat art, and adding a transparency module is a value-added "professional" feature. Since governments and institutions would never buy anything used, there will always be a market for scanners. But since the main customers may be Obam-- err institutional -- expect to pay 2-3x more than a consumer.

Can anyone recommend a lab that does good quality Imacon and/or drum work for a reasonable price?

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    Can anyone recommend a lab that does good quality Imacon and/or drum work for a reasonable price?
    I like to think that I do good work for a fair price. Please let me know if I can help you.

Bruce Watson