Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prague, Czech Republic

Re: Prague, Czech Republic

Yes, time seems to have stood still there.

I have photos of my relatives in 1983, harvesting their grain by hand (cutting with a sickle) and carrying it in bundles on their back down the hill to their home. It will be interesting to see if things have changed in these 26 years.

I may have to plan another trip there from all the feedback I am getting!

Quote Originally Posted by jackies View Post
    I have photos of my relatives in 1983, harvesting their grain by hand (cutting with a sickle) and carrying it in bundles on their back down the hill to their home.
    Sounds like a Jean-François Millet painting:

Have a great trip Jackie and be sure to bring back lots of pictures to show us!

Best,
    Darr

Oh my gosh. That's what they look like!! Bending over, babushka, apron, skirt . . . What a life!

Yes, time seems to have stood still there.

I have photos of my relatives in 1983, harvesting their grain by hand (cutting with a sickle) and carrying it in bundles on their back down the hill to their home. It will be interesting to see if things have changed in these 26 years.

I may have to plan another trip there from all the feedback I am getting!
    How big was their field?

I really don't know how big the field was as I was never there. Probably not a 500 acre farm! But who knows?

J

Prague is a wonderful city to photograph. I was there 2 years ago and I didn't have my 4x5 with me (too bad), but I shot digital and mf. For example:

http://www.quietaesthetic.com/Gallery.html#6

Also - people are friendly and the prices for food and hotels are very reasonable.

Have fun!

Chris

I really don't know how big the field was as I was never there. Probably not a 500 acre farm! But who knows?

J
    What I know is that in that time there was no big private fields of grain possible. What you saw on the picture was a small patch of land used for growing grain for winter use for hens feeding. There is no more economical way of harvesting that small amount of grain than the one pictured on your photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Hansen View Post
    Prague is a wonderful city to photograph. I was there 2 years ago and I didn't have my 4x5 with me (too bad), but I shot digital and mf. For example:

http://www.quietaesthetic.com/Gallery.html#6

Also - people are friendly and the prices for food and hotels are very reasonable.

Have fun!

Chris
    Unfortunately, you're mixing apples and oranges in one statement. While the prices of food are indeed very reasonable, those of hotels, at least in Prague, are on the same level as in Paris or Rome. As a foreigner I happen to be in Prague twice a year only to see that hotel prices held this level in the last 10 years at least...

As it turns out, they had @ 1 acre of land. (Just talked with my parents). But still it is backbreaking work. Guess I am too soft.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a moderately priced hotel to stay at in Prague? I would think we want to be in or near old town Prague.

Thanks,
    Jackie

We stayed here - http://www.city-centre.cz/en/index.html. It's good for its price but do book a room with windows looking to the square. The location of this hotel is very good - it's 3-4 min walk from Staromestske sq (the very heart of old town).