Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Bend March 9 - 13, 2009

Big Bend

Big Bend March 9 - 13, 2009

Just checking to see who might in that area at that time. I have tentative plans to be at the house in Marathon that week, providing my wife can secure that time off work. I'll confirm that as it gets closer.

Big Bend

Re: Big Bend March 9 - 13, 2009

We opted for a week in June and a week in July instead. Hotter yes but usually start getting some good storms over the mountains by then.

If anyone is heading that way between now and then let me know

David Vickery

I sure do wish I could go. I haven't been out there in several years and I miss the desert.
    Sudek ambled across my mind one day and took his picture. Only he knows where it is.
    David Vickery

Big Bend

C'mon David, you know you want to! And you probably deserve a trip to the desert. If I don't go once or twice a month I feel deprived. What part of the state are you living?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Forks View Post
    We opted for a week in June and a week in July instead. Hotter yes but usually start getting some good storms over the mountains by then.
    Another photographer and I were discussing this just last week. He claims the best time to be in Big Bend is late Summer because of the clouds, and I can't imagine going there in August!

Still, we talked about a trip. We'll see.

David Vickery

Hello Joe,
    Yes I want to! No doubt about it. But its gonna have to wait a little longer.

I live north of San Antonio in Wimberley, and the more I think about your comment, I believe that I have been deprived by not being able to go to West Texas at least once a month. That sort of thing should be every landscape photographer's natural borne right!

I agree that you will likely get some great clouds in late summer, but you also have higher winds and vicious heat. But really, any time can be either great or terrible depending on the weather and ones motivation level.

Dang it all, it must be nice to have a place in Marathon!
    Sudek ambled across my mind one day and took his picture. Only he knows where it is.
    David Vickery

Big Bend

It's really nice David. That town sits at 4000' elevation. Just high enough to where open windows and ceiling fans do the trick during the summer. You still have to cover up at night with lows around 65°F.

Big Dog -The best time just depends. If you like cacti blooms from late March to April would be a good choice.

If the summer rains are good the park really greens up in September and October. I've had some fantastic trips at that time of year.

About 6 years ago we started spending Thanksgiving out there and have experienced some beautiful mild weather but also got slammed with 6" of snow in 2007 up at Marathon. But that was awesome, my kids had never seen snow in San Antonio hahaha.

I'll take it anyway I can get it. I might have to drive out there this weekend.

Joe-

I'll be heading to BBNP the week of Easter for my annual spring trip. I usually do March but decided to push back a few weeks. About 20 folks from my camera club will be with me.

The lack of rain this winter does not bode well for a bloom but I am hoping to get a few cactus.

Thinking about trying a new route into the park too. Since I am leaving on Good Friday, I want to lollygag and get there on Sunday when most folks will be leaving. So I am thinking of going through Marfa and taking the Pinto Canyon road to Ruidosa and then camping at Chinati Hot Springs or BBRSP on that Saturday.

I have also given thought to going the week of Labor Day and seeing if I could catch some of the 5th season.

Have fun when you get out there.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

Big Bend

Darren,
    I just got back. It's pretty dry, but Blue Bonnets are springing up at the lower elevations - I saw them at Rio Grande Village and Castolon. Some Daggers are sending up stalks as well, but not the giant daggers at Dagger Flats.

It was windy as all heck on the eastern side of the park. I did find refuge down at Castolon.

I got very few shots with the 8x10 because of the wind, but I think I may have gotten one or two decent ones. I now have to find time to take over the bathroom and develop them.

I 'll try to make it out there when ya'll are out there.
    Last edited by Joe Forks; 16-Feb-2009 at 16:29. Reason: fat finger typos

I've not been out to BBNP for a few years. Last time I stayed in the Gage Hotel in Marathon. Incredibly, on the first morning when I was anxious to drive over to the park I found a long train blocking the road and I had to wait 3 hours for it to move! That soured the whole day.

I ran into a fellow who had a photo gallery in Marathon - I think he was Russian and did nice B&W work around and in the park. I wonder if he is still there and still has his gallery? I was there in August and my digital thermometer read 127F in the shade near the river in Bocquillas (sp.) Canyon. Couldn't do much photography under the circumstances. But it's a spectacular place for desert plants and eroded rock structures. The Chisos Basin (5000 ft. +) was manageable for temperature in August - say around the low 90s.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.