Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: which web host should i use?

Re: which web host should i use?

eddie:

My website is hosted by www.godaddy.com , but the site itself was designed and put together by www.lynnbelldesign.com. . They were terriffic. We met a few times to get it all set out and they put it all on the net for me.

Look up other websites and get an idea of what you like and what you don’t want, and tell your web-guy what you want to see. The other option is to do some study about HTML code and all that, so you can do it yourself.

Let us know when its’ ready...
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Preston Birdwell

Eddie,

If you are going to 'roll your own' and want to learn html and css, and maybe Asp.Net, I'd suggest looking at MS Expression Web 2. It's on sale for half price until Jan 31 at the MS store for $49.95 (US customers only). Take a look Here

MS also has the free Visual Web Developer Express. Go here to take a look.

There is a ton of help for both apps at the Expression sites and at MSDN (Microsoft Developers Network)

I use both these apps daily. They are powerful and feature-rich. You do need to run them on a Windows PC, though.

Good luck, and have fun building your site!

-Preston
    Last edited by Preston; 27-Jan-2009 at 23:41. Reason: typo
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Ewww...ASP.net. I'll take TurboGears or JSP over that any day.

thanks again for the tips.....i am not sure if i will do it myself or not. i do too many things now. i realize i should know a bit for sure but i may get some help just to get something up for now.

i will report back when i get something.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I use PhotoBiz.com it works for me and is 25.00 per month

Ralph

www.ralphduke.com

I am using MySite.com at $3.95 per month. They are owned by the same large company that owns NetZero and several other internet companies. While I have a custom designed website, they also offer some templates and easy to upload image slideshow features.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

I used to use Lunarpages when I was rolling my own site. I've switched to Foliolink and couldn't be happier with it. $30/month but for the time savings it is more than worth it. Easy maintenance from a browser and many templates, both flash and html, to choose from. It even generates an iPhone version.

My site is hosted on godaddy and they have been great to deal with and very helpful when I started and made about every mistake possible.

As for the site itself, I made it myself with sitegrinder and photoshop. I get it to my host with filezilla.

Best of luck,
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    Ewww...ASP.net. I'll take TurboGears or JSP over that any day.
    Please. Anything more than a text editor is way overkill. It's just html eh'.

I'm not sure why anyone would need Awful Stupid Program for anything. Why one would need a clunky overbuilt piece of Java crud, I ran Cocoon and Tomcat for years, or a pile of snakes and ladders to serve up some photographs is beyond me.

This stuff is why everything is so slow and why we need so much bandwith for even simple sites.

Now if you want a store or something complex, I have a couple lying around somewhere., some backend massaging is appropriate but generally even quite large and going concerns can get by with a simple site.