Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new tripod

Lachlan 717

Re: Time for a new tripod

One other positive for the twist locks is the ease of removing the tripod from my backpack.

I have those webbing straps on the side of my pack, with a pouch at the bottom to hold a tripod. My old Manfrotto used to give me the s#its with its "flick" locks, as these would always get caught in the straps.

The twist locks don't have any pointy bits to get snagged, making removal some much quicker, easier and less frustrating...

Lachlan.

I have a velbon 640A and have been using it for the last 4 years. Not a single issue. It's travaled 5 times on international flights and a few times locally. Has held up very well. Highly recommend it (the 640A would be too short for you)

I'm 6' and I'm loving the 4-section carbon fiber tripod by Bogen/Manfrotto.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...bon_Fiber.html

Gotta agree....

Buy a light tripod and use your bag (or a local rock!) hung from the center when you need extra stability. Better to have less to carry when wind isn't a consideration.

I use a Bogen/Manfrotto 3021N with 3047 head. After getting dinged on overweight luggage charges on my last flight, I am contemplating going carbon fibre. What I wonder is whether I really loose much weight going to a Feisol, or similar, and then bolting a 3047 head onto that?

I would prefer keeping my hexangon plates for my tripod, and not going to a ball head. So does the weight of a 3047 head on carbon fibre legs unbalance the entire rig, or negate the weight savings.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

I realize it is outside the OP's budget, but I am 6'6" and about 2 years ago picked up a Ries J100-8 (adds 8 inches to the J100 so the maximum height is 70"). It works great with my 8x10 and Richard Ritter 7x17 camera.

Previous to this I used a Zone VI lightweight tripod and hated it because it wasn't tall enough. Next I picked up a standard Zone VI Tripod and while the height was fine the weight was WAY TOO MUCH!!!!

The Ries is a great tool and I enjoy using it...

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    What I wonder is whether I really loose much weight going to a Feisol, or similar, and then bolting a 3047 head onto that?
    Perhaps you could consider the CF tripod. Pack it into your checked baggage and keep the head in your carry on. I've never been checked for carry on, flying many times per year...

Lachlan.

The top of my ancient Tiltall is 72 inches tall with the legs fully extended. Usually I don't fully extend the legs, and make up the difference by raising the column slightly. There is no play in the column when used thus. The air column in the legs vents almost instantly, and has no effect on extending or collapsing the legs. The tripod with its built-in head weighs about six pounds. The build quality of the original Tiltalls (whether named Tiltall, Leitz, Minolta, or Star D) is legendary. I have no experience with the new imported Tiltalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    The top of my ancient Tiltall is 72 inches tall with the legs fully extended. Usually I don't fully extend the legs, and make up the difference by raising the column slightly. There is no play in the column when used thus. The air column in the legs vents almost instantly, and has no effect on extending or collapsing the legs. The tripod with its built-in head weighs about six pounds. The build quality of the original Tiltalls (whether named Tiltall, Leitz, Minolta, or Star D) is legendary. I have no experience with the new imported Tiltalls.
    Star D was one of the imported ones. And I never knew there was a Minolta one.

My star D was built in rutherford, New Jersey
    Mike