Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 without a darkroom?

Re: 4x5 without a darkroom?

David, what is an inversion tank?

Addendum: Right now, I mail out my film for processing, and that is getting expensive. I shoot 35mm too, so these daylight tanks seem like the best fit for me.

What about this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120363801367

That's the Uniroller base I use. Works great with my 2553 and 3010 tanks. $20 in a local camera shop. $20 or less is the going rate on ebay.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

I'll heartily second the recommendation for the Unicolor roller base and print drum. I'm surprised no one's yet linked the LFF article on the Unicolor setup. With a suitable size changing tent, 4x5 is easier to handle than roll film. These setups go by frequently on the LFF for-sale forum, ebay, or via your local Craigslist (how I got mine). The 8x10 print drum is the most suitable as a starter setup and you can do four 4x5 sheets at a time. Depending on how much you shoot, you may want to pick up an extra 8x10 drum to speed processing (e.g. to quickly process an N and N-1 batch).

Also look out for the very similar Beseler print drums and roller bases. See item 290288992644 on ebay for pictues of the 8x10 drum. You'll need the separator rail (a long thin piece of plastic) for doing 4x5 prints in that drum; ask the seller if the rail is included (or ask for a picture of the inside of the drum, if they're uninformed.) Let me know if you need more specifics or a photo of what I'm talking about. Failing that, you can fashion a replacement or poll around here and on APUG for spares.

Last but not least, some people use a Unicolor or Beseler roller base to process with a Jobo film drum, without the full Jobo processor.

All of the above solutions have been discussed here and elsewhere, so you can do some searches to dig up more info.

Cool Re: 4x5 without a darkroom?

Quote Originally Posted by John Whitley View Post

Last but not least, some people use a Unicolor or Beseler roller base to process with a Jobo film drum, without the full Jobo processor.
    Yep! That's what I do.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

That all sounds fine and dandy for developing the film, but THEN what does a person do? This is exactly the question I'm wrestling with right now.

Cool Re: 4x5 without a darkroom?

I'm in the same boat.

While aiming for the day when I can crank up my Omega 4x5 enlarger, I am making the best negatives I know how to make. Both of them so far.

I purchased a scanner on this forum. It's arriving shortly. I already own Adobe Lightroom for any adjustments the scan files need. I will print my digitized 4x5 photos on my HP inkjet printer. Not perfect, but I'm making photos once again.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

Some images will work nicely in Silver. Some in Pt/Pd and other traditional processes. Some will look nice in inkjet. Why not use them all ?

Ken,

All part of the long term plan. You forgot carbon transfer.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

Adorama Camera has a daylight tank for 4x5 and its adjustable for smaller formats. That and a film changing bag is will get you started.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    That all sounds fine and dandy for developing the film, but THEN what does a person do? This is exactly the question I'm wrestling with right now.
    1. Digital Print: scan, digital darkroom, digital fine print (inkjet, etc).
    2. Analog Print: traditional wet darkroom for silver, color, or create an enlarged negative for contact printing.
    3. Hybrid Print: scan, digital darkroom, print a digital negative, contact print in an alternative process.

For my part, I originally thought that I would go digital first; then I took a digital negative workshop and got the alt. process gleam in my eye. Later I started doing wet darkroom work and realized that's an incredible vehicle for my photographic and creative growth. And a lot of fun. As a result, I'll be set with my own wet darkroom before I have the scanning and printing side ready. This also greases the wheels for processing contact prints... oh, the webs I weave.