Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best scanner for 11x14 B&W negative scans for 1:1 enlargement

Best scanner for 11x14 B&W negative scans for 1:1 enlargement

I have scoured the Internet and this website for info on the best scanner for scanning 11x14 B&W negative sheet film for 1:1 enlargements. My price range is a maximum of $3000. While there is much info and comparisons (e.g. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/scan-comparison/) of various film scanners, the focus is on resolution performance for enlargements, but I intend only to scan 11x14 B&W negatives and print on the same format. So, resolution aside (to some degree), what is the best scanner out there (especially from the effective Dmax performance point of view) that can accommodate 11x14 film for that price range and for that particular application? Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Re: Best scanner for 11x14 B&W negative scans for 1:1 enlargement

This is probably a silly question (im sure you have a reason), but ill ask anyway: If you are going to print it 11x14, why not just make contact prints in the darkroom?

I can't answer for the original poster, but I've been looking at an 11x14 camera, and am hesitant because I don't know of a good scanner. Fact is, you have to have a REALLY good negative for contact printing. It is SOOOOO much easier to save a damaged (e.g. by dust, hair, scratches, etc.) negative digitally than by by other means. 11x14 film is diabolically expensive; my recent foray into darkroom only (yeah, right) printing made me keenly aware of the costs involved (and that's just with 4x5 and 8x10!).

One might assume the same sentiment here. Just a guess on my part. Oh, and I'd like to know who makes a good scanner for 11x14 also... one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and a testicle.

Well, a used pro flatbed, such as a Screen Cezanne (I have one of these), Creo/kodak Eversmart...would work. Note, though, that they are huge, often need "legacy" computing equipment, and can be very expensive to service. A Cezanne would be able to scan the negative at about 750 spi in one pass. The Eversmarts would be able to do higher because they stitch multiple passes. That said, if you're doing 1:1, 750 should be fine. The Cezanne can save the file as 16 bit. I don't know about the various Eversmarts. You can get one in the price range you're talking about, but it'll take some looking.

Another option would be a Howtek drum scanner. I'm not sure what sizes each of the models can do. I'm sure others will chime in.

To add to what Peter said about the Pro Flatbeds, Some of the Creo/Scitex Eversmart series scanners, the ones that can run the oXYgen software will save 16 bit files. They will handle up to 12"X17" on the bed. They can be found within your budget with lots of luck. I picked up an Eversmart Supreme with oXYgen at a live auction for $1000. It came with all the masks calibration sheets and oil (fluid) mounting station. If you can find one at a decent price, they are very good scanners. They are large, but I would not describe them as huge. They are several times larger than consumer flatbeds like the Epsons and Microteks though. The Supreme weighs in at around 154 lbs. I don't have the scanner or manuals in front of me, but if memory serves, it is about 27X34X14"h.

Good luck,

Ben

The Cezanne is 5 ft wide and weighs about what Ben's Supreme does.

Could you scan it in sections, on an affordable consumer flatbed, and stitch the sections together ?

An alternative, would be to shoot 8x10 or 5x7, scan on an affordable flatbed, and still have plenty of resolution left.

You can get a new Epson 10000XL with transparency adapter for well under $3000. It's unlikely to be in the same league as the high-end professional flatbeds, though the performance differences may not matter for your application. But it's much smaller and lighter (unlike the pro flatbeds, you can easily fit it on a desk and move it around yourself), it will run from virtually any late-model computer, and you get a new one with a warranty for your money.

I have zero experience with any of the hardware and film mentioned. It seems to me that an 11x14 negative is begging to be contact printed. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

The Epson 10000XL will scan 11x14 negatives. The two we have seem to top out at ~2400ppi with their optics being the limiting factor. A 2000ppi scan of an 11x14 negative would result in a 55" x 70" print @ 360dpi so I think you'd be just fine with an Epson 10000XL.