Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Deal?

Re: Good Deal?

I hadn't expected this much skepticism.

Point is taken regarding the low number of sales.
    It is a second chance offer from within ebay, so I assume the seller is real.
    I have messaged, so I should get confirmation on my questions.
    After I sell the lens board, this is looking to be maybe $110 for the lens. Can I really do much better than that? (Assuming I'm not getting ripped off.)

Yep... I always get that backwards...

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    minor point...the Caltar S-Ii is well known to be a Schneider Symmar-S. Not Rodenstock

I would not take the second chance offer - on this or any. Very likely a scam.

Besideds, you can do better.
    S-II Schneider. The Rodenstock is with an N instead of an S.

Depends on the quality of the lens and the shutter. Carol Miller can fix the shutter for $50. Chances are, you'll have a $110 winner and the rest of us will be envious.

On the other hand, the second chance thing still bothers me. When I realized how easy and common it was for folks to get my information from ebay, I quit going there.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

YMMV - Symmars are not particularily vulnerable to Schneideritis (separation), as they don't have as agressively curved surfaces as the Super-Angulons, so chances are that the glass is fine.

On the other hand, Symmars in the most common focal lengths are very widespread, which makes them quite affordable - $110 for the glass alone is average or worse. If the shutter needs fixing, it would be no bargain...

Sevo

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    YMMV - Symmars are not particularily vulnerable to Schneideritis (separation), as they don't have as agressively curved surfaces as the Super-Angulons, so chances are that the glass is fine.
    Sevo
    "Schneideritis" is not lens separation; it is small spots of the black edge paint detaching from the lens element rim, visible as white spots or "bubbles" at the lens element rim (not in the lens itself!). It has nothing to do with the curvature (as opposed to separation) and is in most cases only a cosmetic flaw, without effect on performance. Schneider lenses, including older ones, very rarely show separation, as opposed to early Rodenstock Sironars (1st version) from the 1970's where this is much more common.

Well, I'm less enthusiastic, but not completely disuaded.
    Assuming the glass is good and the shutter works, it looks to be lower than the average deal.
    Waiting for answers from the seller.

Yes, if the sellers answer seems legit, the price isn't bad at all.
    The last time I got a "second chance" to buy a lens I had already received the lens and was perfectly happy with it. The "second chance offer" also had all the warning flags up, as it was a plain text message from a totally different "seller", on another continent. What worried me then was how my email address came into the hands of the scamsters. Since then *bay have changed the way the bidding is displayed, which makes it's harder to make these scams.

//Björn

Quote Originally Posted by dazedgonebye View Post
    I hadn't expected this much skepticism.

Point is taken regarding the low number of sales.
    It is a second chance offer from within ebay, so I assume the seller is real.
    I have messaged, so I should get confirmation on my questions.
    After I sell the lens board, this is looking to be maybe $110 for the lens. Can I really do much better than that? (Assuming I'm not getting ripped off.)
    Given the fact that the seller has good feedback (don't care that much whether it's as a buyer or seller, the question is whether he's honest) and the 2nd chance is within ebay, for $110 I'd do it after first emailing the seller to make sure you're dealing with the seller. And no, for this lens in good condition you won't do any better than than that. I sold a 210 APO Symmar with a few scuff marks on the glass for about $350.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

David Vickery

I use that same lens on my 8x10 and at $110.00 it is a great deal, assuming that you have, as others have cautioned, verified its legitimacy.
    Sudek ambled across my mind one day and took his picture. Only he knows where it is.
    David Vickery

For the price it's worth a very slight risk, if there's in fact any any. I have the same Schneider lens and it's excellent, I paid more than 2.5 times as much and still had a bargain. The Caltar-S II is the Multicoated Symmar, I also have a 135 bought through this forum

Ian