Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: other 4x10camera than fotoman?

Re: other 4x10camera than fotoman?

wayne, i just joined this forum so i don't have access to the sales thread yet. in 30days only...any other link to check out your Speed Graphic? it's not what i'm looking for but nevertheless i'm curious now..
    m

Oh, sorry. I just saw your low number of posts.

Speed Graphics were designed as press cameras and meant to be used handheld. They have built in rangefinder focusing. They usually have fairly wide angle lenses, like 127mm or 135mm. The Grafmatic holder contains 6 sheets of 4x5 film and each sheet can be advanced very quickly. If you like the 4x10 aspect ratio, I think, with practice, you could frame for a 2x5 image on 4x5 film. Speed Graphics have a wire frame finder to help you frame just the middle half of the film. Oh, and they are cheap.

Here is a link to everything there is to know about Graflex cameras:

http://graflex.org/

Good luck!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

You could build your own. For handheld work a simple box is all you need. Helical focus mount is an option if you don't want fixed focus.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

SF Bay Area 94303

Consider also that you will have to develop all you own film. Very few or No commercial labs process 4 X 10 and if they do they charge 8 X 10 prices. K

you guys started me thinking...
    i've asked my lab and they dont sell 4x10 and arent sure if they can develop it. probably yes.and will charge something between 4x5 and 8x10...so it seems like it's getting expensive.
    wayne, you say framing 2x5 with the speed graphic is doable? maybe that's a possible solution.
    i checked the graflex homepage..
    what includes the kit that you offer? and what is the price?
    if 2x5 is doable it seems a graphic could be a good camera to start with LF..and a lot less exoensive..something to think about...
    m

mowbray,

4x10 is an aspect ratio. You can crop a 4x10 aspect ratio from any smaller negative. I crop 6x7 negatives to 7x17. I'm just making this stuff and throwing out ideas.

A 2" wide strip of a 4x5 negative will enlarge to the 4x10 aspect ratio. I suggested that you think about doing this with a Speed or Crown Graphic because the cameras can be used hand held. They are cheap. They can also be used for more serious work. You could even use the entire 4x5 negative anytime you wish. These cameras come with a wire frame finder. It shouldn't be too hard to make a 2x5 mask to put on the frame or use some gaffer tape to make a 2" wide slit to compose the 4x10 aspect ratio in the finder.

I see that Badger Graphics lists 25 sheets of 4x10 for $49. They also list 100 sheets of 4x5 for $90. You do the math. On an equal area basis, the 4x10 is only slightly more expensive than 4x5. Working out the price per exposure, 4x10 is more than twice as much.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Cool Re: other 4x10camera than fotoman?

I had a Fotoman 6x17 -it was NOT handholdable. Way too heavy.
    If you want that format, try a speed or crown graphic with a 6x12 roll film back. 4x10 is 0.4 ratio, this would be 0.5, not too far off, and it would be a cheap way to see how you like the format and is definitely handholdable. Crown graphics run about $300, and the 6x12 holder from horseman about $500 used. They are available new, but ebay has em pretty often. I think handholding 4x10 will disappoint-when you are trying to match up the composition etc, it is really difficult - I don't even do that much hand holding my Crown.