Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Large Format Photography to Grand Format Printing

Re: Large Format Photography to Grand Format Printing

> but no LF lens performs at 429 lp/mm at f/3.5.

Absolutely correct.... and if you notice, I tend to only use the apertures the LF lenses are optimized for, at those apertures, lenses are much closer to diffraction limited. For LF lenses, the reason you see f3.5 - f5.6 is strictly for bright viewing of the GG, NOT for usage. The ground glass resolution is so low, that even the worst aberated lens will produce a nice clean bright image on the gg. As you stop down on LF lenses, specially after f22, the resolution threshold for the lens to meet becomes much less, hence why they become diffraction limited much easier vs. at wider apt. lenses.... that doesn't make them deliver more aerial resolution than lower f stops, but it delivers a higher % of max. diffraction limited value.

In some cases though, the lens is only optimized in a very tight f stop range....this is why its valuable to read the MTF curves for a lens, as it gives you an idea of where its sweet spots are at.... then, you can more accurately predict the recorded resolution. If you have no MTF curves, a simple film test will advise you.... Anyway, as you can see, this is where you have to apply a little common sense to the math.

But lets not forget the obvious, these issues only degrade the MP's issues you provided above, not improve them... driving the "real" MP's even lower than calculated values, hence why I always "max. possible". In all fairness, most modern LF lenses will reach their diffraction lmtd values, as well as MF lenses, specially Mamiya 7 lenses.

> Bryan Guyer says that maximum film-resolution increases as f-stops are increased:

ONLY if the lens is highly aberrated at the lower f stops, which is sometimes the case, specially in LF. But many people confuse this with some type of phenomena....instead, the lens was NEVER designed to be used at those lower f stops, they are highly aberrated and only exist for ground glass viewing. This is not the case with Digitar or very high end 35mm lenses....

> Best lens resolution is achieved when shooting wide open....

this is not always true....its a result of people getting carried away with 1500 / fstop. This can be tested quite easily by placing a ~ 3mm focal length astronomy eyepiece behind a lens, and view targets, you can easily see the aerial resolution of the lens.... when on film resolution is lower at wider f stops, its due to the aerial resolution being less, due to a highly aberrated aerial resolution at those wide apertures. This varies greatly with the lens type and format size....

Also, keep in mind, I think the lens tests you refer to are from Perez's site? If so, these are for B&W film, NOT color film....you are aware of that? I trust Chris's work, he has been testing lenses for years. But if you re run the numbers for color film, you will not see this level of recorded resolution. I did not check check your math on your examples, but it seems you have the hang of this. If you shoot color, you may want to reverse engineer the calculations for color film, 50 - 60 lp/mm.... I am glad someone has embraced these fundamentals !

Your are correct though, many lenses are optimized quite well for one focus distance and one f stop. This is where a vintage lens can still perform well. It was always easier to design a lens to perform ONE task very well.... the complexity of lens design comes into play when the designer wants a lens to do many tasks, and expect great performance in all areas, i.e. different f stops, different focus distances, varying fl's for zooms, etc. This is why you see some 35mm lenses with 15 - 20 elements these days, often with a few aspherical elements as well.... LF lenses are much more limited in their application, hence why you need so many of them :-(

>* Measured aerial resolution for the Kodak Ektar 207/7.7 at f/11 was 103 averaged from 0 to 10 degrees from axis, as done by Larry and Linda Whatley; but 64 lpmm as done by Chris Perez (ctr + mdl).

At f11 103 lp/mm is close to diffraction limited for the aerial resolution.... are you referring to Perez test results of 64 lp/mm on film, or aerial rez? I think Perez only shows on film resolutions, right? If so, 64 lp/mm to film, using 120 lp/mm MTF for the film, and the numbers work out perfect again... i.e. 1/R = 64 lp/mm....

> By contrast, a Phase One P45 39-megapixel P45 back is 7216 x 5412 pixels. That corresponds to a 57" x 43" print at 5 lpmm. Of course, this is a favourable estimate, as it assumes any lens on the P45, no matter the f-stop, will actually resolve the full 39 megapixels

NO! Not sure if you were writing this, or quoting someone else..... see my other posts on 1/R.... at best, you can resolve about 1/2 the native pixel count.... Digital capture is NOT immune to 1/R. The other thread has this in more detail, I can't keep re-writing this stuff....

> The equivalent megapixels of a 4x5 range from 5 to 83 megapixels.

Just keep in mind, you have color neg. on the low side, and high resolving Tmax B&W on the other side of the equation.... then you have GREAT lenses at low f stops, such as the SSXL's, 110, 150mm, and you have vintage lenses that were never even designed to be used for enlargements....they imaged directly onto paper inserted in the camera, before the days of film. This is why the numbers can be all over the map with LF, but its a simple formula, just build a model and its all quite predictable. But knowing a bit about the lens is critical, as many of your examples are for vintage lenses.... often with NO MTF data, so testing is your only means of trying to back track the lenses performance characteristics....

> If you need to stop down to f/64, you might as well use a DSLR; enormous hit.

You are really getting the hang of this..... Kudos.... One tip I mentioned previously.... lens tilt "can" be a miracle focal cure....but only when very little tilt is used.... as the MTF of a lens is based on parallel subject plane and image plane. When you tilt the lens, the two planes are no longer parallel.... now, the lenses aberations increase greatly... the more you tilt, the worse it becomes. As a general rule, if you can keep tilt under 8 degrees, and save 2 f stops (or more) by tilting, you will surely improve IQ....

> Given that the maximum resolution one gets from 4x5 under optimal conditions is 80 megapixels (maybe 150 with black-and-white), how deep do you think one should scan the film? I.e., to get the full resolution out of it, how much does one have to over-scan it?

This is where the quality of the scanner comes into play. Because now you are re-imaging an existing image. Also, the answer is highly dependent on the spatial frequency recorded on the film. The lower the spatial frequency, the more efficient the scanner, remember, the scanner too is confronted with 1/R.... as the process of scanning also involves a subject plane, a lens, and an image plane.

I will try to answer your question with two extremes.... with very low spatial frequency on the film.... and a very good scanner (high end flat bed or a drum), you can probably scan at 1.2x the highest frequency on the film. At higher frequencies, maybe up to 1.5x....

lower end scanners, you can double these values.

This is the real value of high end scanners - smaller files to work with. This can all be easily tested, by shooting targets, and scanning the film targets, and seeing how deep you must scan to resolve what you know is recorded on the film.... which you can clearly see with a good loupe and bright light box. Be sure the loupe has sufficient magnification, so it does not become the limiting factor.... Often in the 20 - 80x range. Make sense?

joseph

I'm really learning a lot from trying to keep up with the discussions on this thread- and the other main one-
    as they say in internet land, thanks for sharing...

Just hope Jim Galli is following it too-

j

David J. Heinrich

Quote Originally Posted by dh003i View Post
    Kodak Ektar 203/7.7 (< $150)
    • @ f/7.7: 78 lpmm / 5 lpmm = 15.7x (78" x 63" portraits) [78 megapixel print]
    • @ f/11: 75 lpmm / 5 lpmm = 14.9x (75" x 60" portraits)* [72 megapixels]
    [/list]
    These numbers are not correct. I did not realize that the Kodak numbers I was quoting were aerial resolution numbers here. The actual results at f/11, as C. Perez tests for f/11, and 1/R calculations for f/7.7 are:

Kodak Ektar 203/7.7 (< $150)
    • @ f/7.7: 47 lpmm / 5 lpmm = 9.5x (47" x 38" portraits) [29 megapixel print]
    • @ f/11: 64 lpmm / 5 lpmm = 12.7x (64" x 51" portraits)* [53 megapixels]

For all cases, switching to color means that, in the worst case (actually the best case), resolution is cut in half. This happens when aerial resolution is very high, so that the change from going from b&w to color becomes

Rbw / Rcolor = (1/60 + 1/Ra) / (1/120 + 1/Ra) => (1/60) / (1/120) = 120/60 = 2, so black and white is, in the best case, 2x sharper than color (and in the best case, color is 0.5x as sharp as color). I say "in the best case", because if Ra was 0, then here would be no difference between color and black and white final images (you'd just have no resolution).

David J. Heinrich

Modifying my prior results to represent color resolution, they are as follows

[LIST][*]Schneider Xenotar 135/3.5 (~$400 - $800)
    • @ f/3.5: 20 lpmm / 5 lpmm = 4x (20" x 16" portraits) [5 megapixels] (tested on color film, so no change)
    • @ f/8.0: 60 lpmm / 5 lpmm = 12x (60" x 48" portraits) [46 megapixels] (tested on color film, so no change)
    • @ f/11: 30 lpmm / 5 lpmm = 6x (30" x 24" portraits) [12 megapixels]
    • @ f/16: 39 lpmm / 5 lpmm = 7.8x (39" x 31" portraits or landscapes) [29 megapixels]
    • @ f/22: 37 lpmm / 5 lpmm = 7.4x (37" x 30" portraits or landscapes) [18 megapixels]

And so-on and so-forth...the equation is Ra = 1/(1/Rbw - 1/Rfbw)...then the new Rcolor = (1/Ra + 1/Rfcolor).

> For all cases, switching to color means that, in the worst case (actually the best case), resolution is cut in half. This happens when aerial resolution is very high, so that the change from going from b&w to color becomes

Glad you made these corrections, I thought you were crossing aerial vs. recorded rez. And yes, this is correct above.... but as you suggest, at low aerial rez, the lens becomes the limiting factor. This is the basic premise behind 1/R, it will never allow you to exceed the weak link in the optical chain....

A few other other comments..... first, not all B&W films are ultra high resolution film.... typically the sharpest B&W films are used for target tests, as they are the easiest to view under a loupe. So don't over generalize B&W film, they run the gamut in resolution... most people shoot B&W don't shoot the highest resolving films, as they are after other features such as tonality, Drange, etc. Color film also runs gamut... for example from my experience, some c41 color neg. films have a bit more than half the MTF of Velvia (the king of high resolving color film) In general, color neg film is not as easy to determine MTF data as chrome film is..... long story behind this... but part of the problem is the scanning process.....scanners love chrome film. In the darkroom, an enlarger is not partial....

> @ f/8.0: 60 lpmm / 5 lpmm = 12x (60" x 48" portraits) [46 megapixels] (tested on color film, so no change)

What color film was this tested on? Seems a bit high to me? Its possible if the lens is diffraction limited and Velvia was used.... 1/R = 56 lp/mm, close enough, as this is subjective. I have no experience with this lens, but I would be amazed if it produced this level of detail.... specially at that cost..... if it was a single purpose lens, than its very possible.

> And so-on and so-forth...the equation is Ra = 1/(1/Rbw - 1/Rfbw)...then the new Rcolor = (1/Ra + 1/Rfcolor).

I am not following what you are suggesting here? Can you explain?

David J. Heinrich

[QUOTE=bglick;431602]> For all cases, switching to color means that, in the worst case (actually the best case), resolution is cut in half. This happens when aerial resolution is very high, so that the change from going from b&w to color becomes

Glad you made these corrections, I thought you were crossing aerial vs. recorded rez. And yes, this is correct above.... but as you suggest, at low aerial rez, the lens becomes the limiting factor. This is the basic premise behind 1/R, it will never allow you to exceed the weak link in the optical chain....
    This of course makes intuitive sense. It would easily be understood if we consider looking at the world through the eyes of a 120 year old person who can barely recognize her own children from 5 feet. It doesn't matter how much detail you throw at her eyes, she still won't see any higher than the resolution of her eyes. (not to pick on nearly blind 120 year olds)

A few other other comments..... first, not all B&W films are ultra high resolution film.... typically the sharpest B&W films are used for target tests, as they are the easiest to view under a loupe. So don't over generalize B&W film, they run the gamut in resolution... most people shoot B&W don't shoot the highest resolving films, as they are after other features such as tonality, Drange, etc. Color film also runs gamut... for example from my experience, some c41 color neg. films have a bit more than half the MTF of Velvia (the king of high resolving color film) In general, color neg film is not as easy to determine MTF data as chrome film is..... long story behind this... but part of the problem is the scanning process.....scanners love chrome film. In the darkroom, an enlarger is not partial....
    Yes, but those numbers are upper limits then. I was using the 120 lpmm figure you provided, and the 60 lpmm for color.

> @ f/8.0: 60 lpmm / 5 lpmm = 12x (60" x 48" portraits) [46 megapixels] (tested on color film, so no change)

What color film was this tested on? Seems a bit high to me? Its possible if the lens is diffraction limited and Velvia was used.... 1/R = 56 lp/mm, close enough, as this is subjective. I have no experience with this lens, but I would be amazed if it produced this level of detail.... specially at that cost..... if it was a single purpose lens, than its very possible.
    Well, this lens is designed to be sharp wide open. The film was as follows

It appears he did use lines per mm, not line pairs per mm, so it isn't the case that the numbers are really half of what I said. (btw, the convention of saying "lpmm" is really awful, as is "mpg" (miles per galon; all standard science uses a "/", so it should be l/mm for lines per mm, or lp/mm for line pairs per mm).

> And so-on and so-forth...the equation is Ra = 1/(1/Rbw - 1/Rfbw)...then the new Rcolor = (1/Ra + 1/Rfcolor).

I am not following what you are suggesting here? Can you explain?
    I'm just backing out the aerial resolution of the lens from the resolution as measured on black-and-white film, and the assumed resolution of the black and white film of 120 l/mm. Then I use that aerial resolution to calculate what the measured resolution on color film should be, assuming a color film resolution of 60 l/mm.

> It doesn't matter how much detail you throw at her eyes, she still won't see any higher than the resolution of her eyes.

never thought of this analogy, but I gotcha :-)

> Yes, but those numbers are upper limits then. I was using the 120 lpmm figure you provided, and the 60 lpmm for color.

To be clear though, IIRC, you can find some B&W films that are as low as color film in MTF...so be careful generalizing.

> (btw, the convention of saying "lpmm" is really awful, as is "mpg" (miles per galon; all standard science uses a "/", so it should be l/mm for lines per mm, or lp/mm for line pairs per mm).

There is actually a reason for this.... before MTF became vogue, say early 70's, the optical world revolved around spot sizes or airy disc diameters....which equates to lines per mm.... then, MTF had uniform expression of spatial frequency - as line pairs per mm, (lp/mm) so through the years you can see any iteration of:

lp/mm (line pairs per mm),
    lpmm (lines per mm),
    lpmm (line pairs per mm, missing the "/")
    l/mm (lines per mm)

Add in all the typos that often occur and the mis use of the unit of measure, and it's a mess reading through optical literature through the years, so beware of this....

> I'm just backing out the aerial resolution of the lens.....

Ok, understood....

Since this has become such an involved thread..... I will introduce a new caveat, so some are not too surprised when it surfaces. Through the years, lenses were designed / built with spherical elements only. Recently, aspherical elements are becoming more commonplace, as they add levels of correction not possible with spherical elements. In 4x5 / 8x10 lenses, I think there is only a handful of aspherical lenses, such as the Super Symars XL's and I think a few Rodenstocks.... not sure, I never read through all the literature...but aspherics are more common place now on 35mm.

With spherical lenses, the aerial resolution typically will be degraded as you stop down. The exception is, very FAST lenses, where wide open, the lenses are quite aberated - so the aerial rez over all the f stops forms a bell curve. This is generally true of all normal to wide lenses in 35mm.

However, some of the more recent aspherical zoom lenses I tested actually have a straight line resolution between f2.8 and f11. This defies what we are used to seeing....but it makes sense. The lens design uses the aspherical elements to level out the resolution over many f stops, vs. the common bell curve profile. Of course, apt. diffraction is never surpassed....it's the mid f stops paying a penalty for keeping the wide open apertures from being too aberrated - as shooting wide open is a great marketing point to sell lenses. We all want fast lenses. Using ashperics is almost mandatory when trying to design a single lens to have a 300% fl range, 7 stops of apt. and focus range from 2 ft to infinity. Gee, wouldn't that be nice in LF? :-) So with aspherics, you can see some puzzling aerial resolutions that don't follow the commonplace aerial rez profile.

Hi Guys, I’ve been away on business so I have not been keeping up to speed with this thread. I’m back now and all I can say is “WOW!” you guys have been busy talking about image size, files sizes, lenses, LF, Digital, viewing distances and the list goes on. Thanks for all your info. I’m days away from sorting out license agreements for LF photographers to make money of their images for the worlds fist Vinyl Cushion Floor.
    Thanks for all your time taken out on this one, it has some great points. I think I may re-post it.