Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh start, thinking about going large format.

Re: Fresh start, thinking about going large format.

Quote Originally Posted by timparkin View Post
    I'd also budget in for a sturdy tripod!
    From experience, the Manfrotto 055PROB is adequate, or you can splash out on the (lighter but more expensive) Gitzo 2530.

I'd recommend either the Pextax Digital Spot or the Kenko 2100 (which Joe has started using).
    I use the Minolta FlashMeter VI which, since Minolta stopped making them, is now the Kenko 2100. It is a superb piece of kit that allows you to specify the range of exposure your film can cope with, measure a shadow or highlight and it will give you the correct average exposure and allow you to check that the other end of the range is not going to block/blow.

Joe also uses a linhof viewer and/or a Richoh 100 to frame his shots - however, if you're like me you'll take your digital out as well and can use that to frame your shots.
    Or you can use a piece of card/plastic and a piece of string... much cheaper and lighter to carry

Joe uses the Paramo Dark Cloth but I've found the black jacket more 'light tight'
    I tried the Black Jacket but found it too "plasticky". The Paramo cloth has the advantage of a double drawstring at the camera end which allows blocking of the gap under the camera.

I'd definitely try to find some views that say more about you than Joe as when you do so the results are much more enjoyable.. (for instance "stormy sky")
    Yes, whatever you do, don't become another Joe Clone. As wonderful as his pictures are, develop your own style

Quote Originally Posted by hmf View Post
    ... you also might want to look at the Canham DLC
    You might also like to consider Mike Walker's cameras http://www.walkercameras.com. since you are in the UK and so is he, you would be able to get in touch both before and after purchase without the problems of the exchange rate, import duty, etc, and the inconvenience of transatlantic communication.

Also, if you join the UKLFPG, Mike is offering a discount on any cameras ordered this month; as well as on both Schneider and Rodenstock lenses.

Dave Karp

Second the idea of a Walker. Very rigid, well made, and well thought out cameras. In addition, Mike Walker is a really nice guy.

I am very happy with my Walker Titan SF.

The Ebony 45SU is a very nice camera, one of the most well regarded for landscape field work. The Arca Swiss 4x5 Field camera (110-141 size) would be the other one to consider. Similar size/weight/lens range to the 45SU, but a more in the "technical camera" category and more rigid and precise.

However, I'd also seriously consider getting something light and simple to start, such as the Chamonix 45N-1. It's under $1k USD, will handle any of the lenses that you'd be shooting with, is nice and rigid, and is much lighter than the Ebony/Arca. It's not a bad idea to start simple rather than jumping in at the deep end. The quality of your photos will not be affected, since the camera is just a light tight box.

I'd skip the binocular viewer, and get a good lightweight focusing hood and a good loupe. I like the BTZS focusing hood, similar to the Blackjacket (perhaps a little smaller). The Silvestri 6x loupe is wonderful, compact, light and very good optically. I just use it as a straight loupe and skip the tilting base.

For a light meter, look at either the Pentax Digital Spot meter or a high end Sekonic such as the L-558 or the newer L-758DR.

For film holders and film, definitely Fuji Quickload holder/packets. No dust, lighter and more compact to carry.

For filters, a polarizer, warming filter, and a couple ND grads should cover your needs fine. If you are going to shoot B&W you can toss a couple color filters in there too.

Get one cable release for each lens, keep it attached permanently. You'll save time in setting up a shot when the light is fleeting.

DO NOT buy your lenses new. You will just be throwing away money. There are so many used lenses out there in pristine condition for 1/2 the price, and it's easy to resell a used lens if you decide it's not for you.

Choose small/compact lenses for packing around, your back will thank you and there's no difference in the end result photos. Just pay attention to the amount of coverage that a lens has.

Keep in mind that wide angle lenses are very difficult to compose and focus with. I'd start with a 80-90mm lens and work your way wider from there down the road (if needed). Joe Cornish uses a 90mm lens most of the time, based on the stuff listed on his website.

I'd put the following lenses on my short list for top tier lenses for landscape photography. There are a LOT of others that are very good, but these are IMHO the ones that stand out as being both compact and sharp, with good coverage.

Wide

Schneider 80mm XL, Nikkor 90mm f/8

Medium Wide

Schneider 110mm XL, Rodenstock 135mm APO Sironar-S

Normal

Rodenstock 150mm APO Sironar-S

Medium Long
    Fujinon A 180mm f/9, Nikkor-M 200mm f/8, Fujinon A 240mm f/9

Long
    Nikkor-M 300mm f/9, Fujinon-C 300mm f/10

If you are going to shoot color, I strongly recommend budgeting for a Fuji PA-45 instant film holder, and a few packs of their Instant film, as a test on instant film resolves all your exposure calculations for bellow factors and shutter variations, etc. I wouldn't dream of shooting transparencies without an instant film test first. And, I have to say, since I test on Instant film (used to use Polaroid until they went away) I never bracket my transparencies, and they turn out fine.

Thanks,

Looks like everything was covered in the above replies. I already have most of the gear mentioned (listed below) except for anything large format related.

1) Sekonic 758
    2) Gitzo tripod
    3) Geared head
    4) Lee filter system with polarizer

I'm obviously willing to buy all my gear used should they become available and now know what gear I'm looking for due to reading all the replies above. There are always little things that make life easier which are often overlooked, thankfully you guys have helped point those out and have given me a clear list of things to purchase as I build my new outfit and I look to enjoy every moment of my photography using this new (to me) medium, thanks for all the help.

Hi John

You've had lots of good advice, however I do think you should make sure you at least have a play with a number of LF cameras before reaching for your wallet. They all have their individual foibles and you may well find that you really don't like working with a camera that looks excellent in the brochures. Also don't get too hung up on buying the "ultimate" LF camera as it really doesn't exist!

Here in the UK Robert White, Linhof & Studio and Teamwork all tend to have several different 5x4's in stock at any time as well as having staff who are well able to discuss their pro's and con's with you - in some cases they might even lend you one for an hour or so. I'm sure that Mike Walker will also do the same if you visit him.

David Whistance

Quote Originally Posted by dwhistance View Post
    You've had lots of good advice, however I do think you should make sure you at least have a play with a number of LF cameras before reaching for your wallet.
    Which is the reason why I suggested getting in touch with us in the UKLFPG http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/; we have members all over the place with all sorts of different equipment, most of whom would be willing to let someone see what they would be getting into without spending any hard cash.

another nod for Mike Walker's Titan SF....wonderful camera.

I would have to agree with much of what Sheldon said. I shoot with a Cham and love it! Its super light, sets up in seconds, has all the movements I'd ever want shooting landscapes, and handles lenses from 58mm to 450mm (with a small extender). I'd think twice about shelling out for an ebony. As far a darkcloth, I used a custom made one for my first camera (Tachihara), but have just been using a black shortsleave t-shirt on the Cham and it works perfect placing the neck of the shirt around the back of the camera. Costed me 3 bucks, and is practically weightless. Which brings up my next point, if you are serious about shooting landscapes, you will be hiking, in which case, in terms of lenses, I would go light. I've totally revamped my lens line up and it now consists of a Rodi 65mm f/4.5, Schneider 120mm f/5.6, Fuji A 180mm f/9, and a Nikon 300mm f/9. All of which are extremely small and light, have 58mm filter size or smaller, and all of which were around $400 used. I agree to get a cable release for each lens and leave them on. I'd go with quickloads as well. A decent 4-6x loupe and id' say you're set.

Adam Kavalunas
    www.plateauvisions.com