Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Someone Should Have Warned Me....

Re: Someone Should Have Warned Me....

The Chamonix also don't have any options like Ebony's asymmetric movements, which are like Arca's Orbix; not essential, but very convenient.

Just to be clear, the Chamonix 045n-1 in particular, and others in the line have the ability to move the rear standard forward and backward, accomodating a wide range of focal lengths.

Len Eselson

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

There are more dangerous links than that:

http://www.galerie-photo.com/carbon-infinity.html

It seems like that would be LESS dangerous since it's so much harder to find one of those than it is an Ebony camera

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

That only means the search will take more time and more money.

Ole, I suppose that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That's one ugly camera! (I bet it's a joy to use, though.)

On a local note...

Should we warn you not to visit Richard Ritter's pages, hey?
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

I've already visited Richard Ritter's pages... so I have a feeling that I know where my tax refund will be going

The Ebony 45SU is a non-folding camera that is quick to set up by just extending the bed and it has asymmetrical focusing which is also fast. You can look into asymmetrical focusing in a .pdf on the website. Once in a while I can nail the plane of focus in two moves and I'm getting better at it.

There are only two focusing knobs and no play in the bed. Lots of shift and rise, front and rear, and it's made of Ebony wood and titanium. They are more expensive but if you use one for 15-20 years it's a great investment.

Arca Swiss are also very nice. If you can find a camera store with a lot of different models you can get a better idea of the quality of the materials and workmanship.

Just another opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jeffery View Post
    The Ebony 45SU is a non-folding camera that is quick to set up by just extending the bed and it has asymmetrical focusing which is also fast. You can look into asymmetrical focusing in a .pdf on the website. Once in a while I can nail the plane of focus in two moves and I'm getting better at it.

There are only two focusing knobs and no play in the bed. Lots of shift and rise, front and rear, and it's made of Ebony wood and titanium. They are more expensive but if you use one for 15-20 years it's a great investment.

Arca Swiss are also very nice. If you can find a camera store with a lot of different models you can get a better idea of the quality of the materials and workmanship.

Just another opinion.
    That's actually the model I found most interesting. Still several years down the road for me though.