Page 659 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 15955960964965765865966066166970975911591659 ... LastLast
Results 6,581 to 6,590 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    Truck with Windmills, Goodnoe Hills, Washington

http://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger/
    Really cool picture. Austin have you considered going back there on a really windy day?

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Preston,

Beautiful landscape. I was only in the Owens Valley once with my 4x5, and that was twenty years ago. I've never been all that happy with this shot, but since it is a weaker echo of yours, I thought I'd post it.

(Ansel Adams influence? What Ansel Adams influence? I don't know what you're talking about.)

Toyo 45A, 210mm Sironar-N, T-Max 400

Jonathan

All,
    Thanks for sharing inspiring images. Here's my first submission for your feedback and critique, pic taken in Yosemite in Dec 2012.

Tech details:
    - Shen Hao HZX 4x5-IIa, FP4+, Spot metered. I think yellow filter was used.
    - Rodinal 1:100 stand, taco development. Water stop, Ilford fixer.
    - Printed on 8x10 Ilford MG RC Paper. Ilford Paper Developer, Vinegar bath, Ilford fixer.
    - Scanned on Epson Workforce 500 scanner. lifted the brightness and contrast by about 0.3 stops.

Best,
    Arun

Edit, uploaded a slightly larger version of the image.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yosemite-2012.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	90126
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yosemite-2012.jpg  

Please excuse my two images, tried to delete one but cannot figure out how. thank you,

Arun

Preston Birdwell

Thanks, Jonathan. I certainly would not call your image a 'weak echo' of mine. I like the sense of enveloping light and the unique vantage point. I find it interesting that you chose to highlight Thor Peak and Mount Candlelight, with just a hint of the Whitney massif and the summit of Lone Pine Peak. Works for me!

I am kinda homesick. I haven't been to the Mount Whitney area in several years--I need to get back there!

--P

ps: Ansel Adams didn't have any influence on me, either. ;-)
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by lbenac View Post
    Really cool picture. Austin have you considered going back there on a really windy day?

Cheers,

Luc
    Thanks Luc. This area is located at the outer reaches of a day trip, so I don't get there very often. I have to take what it gives me! And when it is windy here, it is Windy. With a view camera you'd just be asking for trouble.

Preston Birdwell

I really like this one, too. It has a dynamism I find very appealing. I agree with Luc that it would be cool if the turbines were spinning, but you'd need a boat anchor--they don't put those windmills in windy places for looks. :-)

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

That really is an awesome shot Austin! I don't know what it is but it draws me in and I keep looking at it. I feel like I can sense the wind.

I went on a 3,000-mile road trip a few years ago, and one of the coolest things my girlfriend and I saw was the lines and lines of turbines on the mountain ridges of West Virginia. Here in south GA, a gradient of 30 feet is the biggest hill in the county. All those mountains and huge structures were fascinating up in the north. Anyway, we got up close to one (as close as you could, anyway) and I'll never forget the sound of the blades as it casually sliced through the air. It wasn't that windy so it was going pretty slow, but you could still feel the motion and the power of the wind and machine. That's the visceral feeling I get from the photo.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thanks guys. It's hard to get the scale of the turbines from the picture but let's just say they're enormous. When you're right under them, the sound is actually kind of frightening. It funny, the one turbine that was turning (very slowly) on this day was located behind me over my left shoulder. Every few seconds it would cast a long shadow of a blade across a large part of the scene. Looking back, I probably should have tried to make a picture of that, but at the time I didn't want the shadow in so I timed the shot to fall between the sweeps of the blades. Yeah, a lot of activity for a still-looking picture!

cpercy

Here's an old one I scanned at about 1:00 last night while I was waiting for the blizzard to hit.
    Its another image from the Marais des Cygnes, (the one in Kansas).

serpentine stream by Clay Percy, on Flickr