Page 586 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 8648653657658458558658758859663668610861586 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,860 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

I have used an orange filter on small formats mostly at high altitude and it made a good dark sky. This is at low altitude and not much blue sky around but it did increase the contrast which is good. Things can be very grey and flat here. I was just having a very rare afternoon off (the first in 3 months) and playing at being Ansel Adams, using up some TriX I had loaded, and some fp4. I must say I very seldom use a filter on LF where as on small formats the yellow filter never came off the camera, so I thought I would give it a try, its the only orange filter I have and this is the only lens it fits. TriX and D23 seems a very nice combination. Mostly the benefit for me was to escape and not have to think about the usual things for a few hours. I hope they are spatially intersting without being contrieved, I dont really care about the rest. I dont scan things properly or waste time on them until I decide to print them.

David, very nice capture.. lots of details in the sky and at the foliage as well.... very well controlled.
    Is it the D23 that is producing the desired curve? or is it the orange filter that creates this ?

Billy

Dont know, ask Vaughn. Anyway, the FP4 was not as good, underexposed.

Another with the same story, except FP4 now.

Quote Originally Posted by lkkang View Post
    David, very nice capture.. lots of details in the sky and at the foliage as well.... very well controlled.
    Is it the D23 that is producing the desired curve? or is it the orange filter that creates this ?

Billy
    Well, the orange filter would certain mess around with the greens in the image (darken them relative to other colors), but since there really is not much other color in the scene, the orange filter may not be adding much contrast to the landscape.

I do not know the qualities of D23...and I certainly do not think in the terms of curves when taking photographs.

thanks thanks.... something I learned today..

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Well, the orange filter would certain mess around with the greens in the image (darken them relative to other colors), but since there really is not much other color in the scene, the orange filter may not be adding much contrast to the landscape.

I do not know the qualities of D23...and I certainly do not think in the terms of curves when taking photographs.

I think the dark greens work ok then. The dark green of gum, pine and blue green of natural forest are significantly darker than the paler greens of the deciduous spring leaves. To me this landscape is kinda dark with the work and suffering of past generations and dead animals. And the light dances and teases. Actually, I went to the forest for a dark, dripping, taut photo, like the Piano in black and grey, but it was not to be.

D-23 is bascally D-76 without Hydroquinone: it has only Metol as the developing agent.

It is a bit less active as a result, and (according to Anchell and Troop) is less prone to "runaway" high values.

Like D-76, it doesn't give the finest grain or highest acutance, doesn't give the best film speed, doesn't have exceptional shelf-life and doesn't mask grain, tan or stain.

To me the core value proposition of D-23 is simplicity: only 2 ingredients. It can be mixed fresh and tossed.

You might find this article helpful: D-23 Developer
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 10-Jun-2018 at 19:02.

Also it was good enough for some very famous photographs and is not prone to development problems and scratches in a tray, which is the main reason I am using it more.

Thanks for the info on D-23. I like run-away highlights, so I will avoid it for most of my negs!