Page 1023 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 235239239731013102110221023102410251033107311231523 ... LastLast
Results 10,221 to 10,230 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Peter

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Beautiful shots, and great control over the shadows and highlights! Quite often snow looks flat, but you have good depth and details right up to the brightest white.

2 Bit Hack

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Jiri - I love the grays...and the sparkling highlight - just to the right of the five bare trees - very compelling!

Marty - RE the houseboat: In June of 1998, my wife, two children then ages 10 and 12, and myself, loaded our camping gear into a rented ski-boat equipped with a 150 hp. Mercury engine - figuring that the 186 miles of lake Powell would simply take too long for our schedule to see with a much slower houseboat. Would have liked to have houseboat amenities, but we still had a wonderful time. Then again, this was more about family time than my own photography. A houseboat would make a great base of "photographic operations," although I must say I'd be very tempted to smuggle some processing equipment aboard!

But about lake Powell - last time I visited, in 2012, the water level was very low. Is it still - or has it come up a bit?
    Yes, from my perspective it is very low. I parked at the boat trailer parking lot down the road from the Antelope Canyon. I had to walk at least 20 ft vertical to hit water. It could have been more like 30. I took several digital shots of the some really nice layering in the rock. The rocks were coated with white (Fe+3). I did not lug the 4x5 down those steep areas. I have some digital stuff from the dam too.

As for the houseboat, I plan to take processing gear, light proof material, and some tape. Though, I am not sure how to workout the water supply issue. This trip is still in the infancy of the planning stage
    Regards

Marty

2 Bit Hack

Shiprock by jmarmck, on Flickr
    Regards

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarmck View Post
    Yes, from my perspective it is very low. I parked at the boat trailer parking lot down the road from the Antelope Canyon. I had to walk at least 20 ft vertical to hit water. It could have been more like 30. I took several digital shots of the some really nice layering in the rock. The rocks were coated with white (Fe+3). I did not lug the 4x5 down those steep areas. I have some digital stuff from the dam too.

As for the houseboat, I plan to take processing gear, light proof material, and some tape. Though, I am not sure how to workout the water supply issue. This trip is still in the infancy of the planning stage
    I sure am glad I did the houseboat camp thing on Lake Powell when it first filled, 1980. The water was very clear, many fish to be seen. My friend and I slept on shore above the bugs, maybe 20 feet above the highest point the water ever hit. I was sad for the displaced desert, people and critters that once lived below. I prefer sleeping rough to being in a houseboat. We also towed a speedboat.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by sdzsdz View Post
    We eventually got some snow here in the north of Germany and I made a short trip yesterday to try my new camera stuff. I swithed to an Chamonix 045N-2 and a Shen hao back. I´m very pleased with both, exspecially because I can use longer lenses now on 6x17. These were shot with 75mm on 4x5 and 210mm on 6x17, both on Tmax 100
    These are fantastic, especially the pano shot!
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarmck View Post
    Shiprock by jmarmck, on Flickr
    Interesting, I find the heavy reverse graduated density to be a little distracting...

2 Bit Hack

That is the odd thing about this, no filters. I believe this was with the Grandagon 115 @f22, TMX @ 100, HC-110 1:31. I did not plan on the gradient.
    Regards

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Interesting, I find the heavy reverse graduated density to be a little distracting...
    I was at Shiprock last year photographing with my 8x10. I have similar pictures of Shiprock like that, been there several times over the years. With a clear blue sky it's not unusual in the West, especially if you use a filter.

Alan Brock

Here is an image of Laurel Falls in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. My hands have never been so cold in my entire life! 4x5 Kodak Ektar 100, 90mm, f/32, 43 seconds. If you're interested, there's more on how I took this image (including a monochrome version on Delta 100...which I didn't really care for) on my blog: http://www.alanbrockimages.com/blog/...tennessee-snow Thanks for looking!

2 Bit Hack

Alan that is a nice shot! There is a grand contrast between the texture of the water and the texture of the snow covered trees. That took some foresight.

I would like to see it in print.
    Regards

Marty