Page 250 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 1502002402482492502512522603003507501250 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,500 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

In the Olympic Mountains, Washington.

Across the strait is British Columbia.

I skipped a rock across the clouds, got dizzy, and hiked back down.

Tachi 4x5
    Jurassic-era Fuji Pro 160s
    Fuji A 240mm/9
    Epson 4990/Epson Scan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lonely spire.jpg  
    Last edited by Heroique; 14-Dec-2010 at 23:16.

Ice and Grass, Reflection Lake, Mount Rainier National Park
    Tachihara 4x5, Caltar II-N 150mm f/5.6, Fuji Provia 100F

This is a perfect example to me of how much I suck using my Large Format camera. At the time I began framing this the patch of grasses in the bottom left were lit by the low sun, and the surrounding grasses were in shadow. 20 minutes later, or whatever it takes me, when I was finally ready to fire the shutter the light had shifted several feet and what I was left with wasn't what I had in mind... oh well. I still liked the blue reflections (a polarizer helped to emphasize the reflection).

Quote Originally Posted by MumbleyJoe View Post
    This is a perfect example to me of how much I suck using my Large Format camera. At the time I began framing this the patch of grasses in the bottom left were lit by the low sun, and the surrounding grasses were in shadow. 20 minutes later, or whatever it takes me, when I was finally ready to fire the shutter the light had shifted several feet and what I was left with wasn't what I had in mind... oh well. I still liked the blue reflections (a polarizer helped to emphasize the reflection).
    Hey, it happens to everyone! I have a few pictures with the "last afterglow of the sun on the mountains", because I was just a tiny bit too slow for a picture with the real "afterglow". I've always wondered if those pictures of "clearing winter storm" would actually have been planned as "full grown grizzly winter storm", but then the ground glass fogged up under the dark cloth (which was pushed around by the wind and trying to pull the tripod down), the dark slide was frozen shut and the shutter had to be pre-fired 2 or 3 times to get going, so ... it became "clearing". :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Welter View Post
    Hey, it happens to everyone! I have a few pictures with the "last afterglow of the sun on the mountains", because I was just a tiny bit too slow for a picture with the real "afterglow". I've always wondered if those pictures of "clearing winter storm" would actually have been planned as "full grown grizzly winter storm", but then the ground glass fogged up under the dark cloth (which was pushed around by the wind and trying to pull the tripod down), the dark slide was frozen shut and the shutter had to be pre-fired 2 or 3 times to get going, so ... it became "clearing". :-)
    Oh, I laughed many times while reading that - I love the idea that Clearing Winter Storm was meant to be Full Grown Grizzly Winter Storm. And yeah, it happens all the time (in fact, it happened with the ~4 or so shots I took that day) but all you can do is try, right? Maybe you'll come away with a winner you hadn't envisioned.

This is a perfect example to me of how much I suck using my Large Format camera...
    Try photographing under the redwoods or similar forest with a light overcast (and no wind). Best time is from about 10am to 2pm. Lots of contrast, and one can take their time as the light is pretty constant. Very relaxing LF photography. Well, hiking with 60 pounds of 8x10 for a couple miles or so is not too relaxing, but there are lots of opportunites from the road or just a few feet from the car if one does not want the exercise.

Vaughn

PS -- now, photography under the redwoods with the sun streaking in is another kettle of fish altogether! One needs to study the trees around oneself and guessimate how the light will be moving over the next 15 minutes or more. Dramatic shifts of light!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Try photographing under the redwoods or similar forest with a light overcast (and no wind). Best time is from about 10am to 2pm. Lots of contrast, and one can take their time as the light is pretty constant. Very relaxing LF photography. Well, hiking with 60 pounds of 8x10 for a couple miles or so is not too relaxing, but there are lots of opportunites from the road or just a few feet from the car if one does not want the exercise.

Vaughn

PS -- now, photography under the redwoods with the sun streaking in is another kettle of fish altogether! One needs to study the trees around oneself and guessimate how the light will be moving over the next 15 minutes or more. Dramatic shifts of light!
    Vaughn is right. It is heaven! The 8x20's that I have from my October trip are great. No wind for 20+ minute exposures and you get to watch the light dance through the forest and your image. Does not get much better!

Jim

6x12, Velvia 50.

Vaughn/Jim - sounds like fun to me. I'm about a lengthy day drive from Redwoods National Park, and I'm hoping to make it down there one of these days.

dofmaster - very nice! Where is that? I have a bit of a tough time gauging the scale, but it looks quite dramatic.

dofmaster - very nice! Where is that? I have a bit of a tough time gauging the scale, but it looks quite dramatic.
    Thanx! It's Tyan-Shuan mountains (3500m above the sea). They're quite big, but there's no man to compare...

Ted Mastrandonas

Here are a few I did this summer and fall.

Above Millers Ferry Lock & Dam - Catherine, AL

Camp Road - Mount Cheaha State Park, AL

Picnic Table Along the Nantahala River - Talc Mountain, NC

Bridge Over Bradley Fork - Smokemont Campground, GSMNP

Ted
    http://www.tedmastrandonas.com/