Page 1479 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 47997913791429146914771478147914801481148915291579 ... LastLast
Results 14,781 to 14,790 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBurns View Post
    A re-edit of an old large format photo now that we have so much time... Ektar 100, somewhere out behind Anawhata beach in New Zealand.

Damn that kinda looks like my neck of the woods almost. Nice !

Thanks orgraph

Backyard Deadfall
    Intrepid 4x5 "Black," 90mm f/6.8 Optar, T-Max 100 dev'd in Rodinal 1:50:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGard View Post
    Damn that kinda looks like my neck of the woods almost. Nice !
    Very painterly, plein-air...

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Thanks orgraph

Backyard Deadfall
    Intrepid 4x5 "Black," 90mm f/6.8 Optar, T-Max 100 dev'd in Rodinal 1:50:

I like that, Bryan.

Thanks Ben.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

My first 4x5's. Taken with Tmax 100. Which do you like? Comments appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1980-002.jpg   1980-003.jpg   1980-001.jpg  

Small town, South Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    My first 4x5's. Taken with Tmax 100. Which do you like? Comments appreciated.
    They look great. I especially like the one on the right. Tonality is very good.

Alan, technically they look fine, with nice textures and cloud detail in the sky, so your metering was accurate (as was development, but I think you sent these out for processing). In the third image, the barn is leaning very slightly to the right, I suspect that you swung the back to get the fence in focus front to back, and that caused a very slight deviation from vertical in the barn. I like the middle image best of the three since I think it has the most interesting point-of-view. The two pictures of the barn are essentially documentation shots, and I realize your objective was getting used to using your new view camera; I suspect that there were more interesting images in the textures of the wood on the building and the fence; in another thread on Fred Picker, those of us who took his workshops around 30 years ago reminisced about how he told us that after we had composed what we thought was our image, pick up the camera and move forward!

Some 4x5 shots on Portra 400 that I ended up cropping square, my chemistry is exhausted so they came out a little grainy and I'm not sure about the compositions but I really enjoyed getting out for the first time in weeks and taking them.

Last edited by AndrewBurns; 2-May-2020 at 15:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Alan, technically they look fine, with nice textures and cloud detail in the sky, so your metering was accurate (as was development, but I think you sent these out for processing). In the third image, the barn is leaning very slightly to the right, I suspect that you swung the back to get the fence in focus front to back, and that caused a very slight deviation from vertical in the barn. I like the middle image best of the three since I think it has the most interesting point-of-view. The two pictures of the barn are essentially documentation shots, and I realize your objective was getting used to using your new view camera; I suspect that there were more interesting images in the textures of the wood on the building and the fence; in another thread on Fred Picker, those of us who took his workshops around 30 years ago reminisced about how he told us that after we had composed what we thought was our image, pick up the camera and move forward!
    Thanks Pete for working me originally to get me started. Yes Picker is right. I heard it: when you think you're too close, get closer. Maybe I still think in terms of color. But it's a great suggestion.

The barn is actually tilted. If you look at the other barn shot with the light sky, you see it's tilted also, especially the left side of the barn. My notes don't indicate I swung either standard, They say I used asymmetrical back tilts for both shots. So could the fact I used the back tilt have accentuated the tilt and shape of the barn? On the second barn shot with the clear sky, I raised the front standard to put the asymmetric line on the trees. Once focused, I dropped it back down again and tilted the back standard to get the water pump in focus.

I'm playing around with using asymmetric tilts or using the old fashion way of iteration with the front standard. I'm not settled which way to go. It's all new to me so I'm trying different things to learn.