Page 834 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 3347347848248328338348358368448849341334 ... LastLast
Results 8,331 to 8,340 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Jim,

I like all the Mono Lake images but I think #3 in the first set is my favorite

Bob

Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Mono Lake Set #1

I was at Mono Lake last month for about three days. Had a mix of weather, from calm to 30mph winds. If I recall correctly, 3 evenings and 2 mornings. I managed to get an image every session. Now whether they are any good or not, that is another story. I do find it a fascinating place, partly because, in and of themselves, the tufas are not exactly "pretty," although they certainly are unusual. It is one of the few area where I really do not focus on the more intimate image, but rather on the grand image with the sky being a main component. I'll be posting two groups of images and all of them were taken with an Ebony 8x10 on various Fuji films - Velvia 50, Velvia 100, and Provia. For the most part I was please with my images, specially considering a couple of these were in some 30 plus mph winds and exposures were sometimes a couple minutes. In any event, here are the first four. The first two were taken at that time of morning when the sky is that deep blue. Would have liked a nicer sky, but that wasn't to be. The third image had much more cloud structure with an exposure about 2 minutes. The fourth was where the sky really had some nice clouds.
    Very nice, both first and second examples, but he sky and water in some of them reflect perfectly, and don't seem like 2 minute exposures in high wind, because the water wouldn't reflect so perfectly if the water were being hit by the wind causing lots of water surface turbulence and the clouds would be moving more and have a more whispy look. I'm not saying you're not telling the truth or anything, I'm just saying it doesn't show in some of the pictures, but some certainly do show that. I bet your memory of the event was of the epic battle between you of the wind, and you forgot there were also times of calm. The mind is funny that way. Anyway all very nice and well worth the price if Velvia 8x10, can't wait to get my own 8x10, I'm jealous!

Ron Miller

Mono Lake Set #2

Here is the second group of images from Mono Lake. This set has some skies that were a little more interesting (at least to me.) The first two were taken at sunrise on different days. As you can see the second and third (being taken at sunset) image have basically the same composition. I liked that vantage point as you might guess. Actually the last image shown here was the first one I took on the first evening there. It was about the only place I could set up because of the winds. I was actually protected a little bit from the wind by a set of tufas, that and my umbrella trying to shield my camera. I was actually surprised how sharp this particular film was because of the very long exposure times. I would have liked a different location, but this was the only area I could find any protection from the wind. All images from an Ebony 8x10 and Fuji slide film.
    Jim, I love these images. 1st set the most. I have just aquired some Velvia 50 and I'm wondering if you'd share your long exposure reciprocity times.

Regards,
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    Jim, I love these images. 1st set the most. I have just aquired some Velvia 50 and I'm wondering if you'd share your long exposure reciprocity times.

Regards,
    Ron
    Hey Ron,

Might I suggest getting the "reciprocity timer" app for iPhone, it's amazingly accurate. It was made by one of our own LFF members, and has never failed me...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reci...459691262?mt=8

That reciprocity timer application looks pretty interesting -- does the app have data for Kodak Ektar and Kodak Portra? That would be worth the cost of the app alone in my opinion.

Thanks for the comments everyone. It is alway interesting to find out which images strike a chord (if any.)

Stone - I actually mention in the first post that the weather ranged from calm to extremely windy over the three days. Although the early morning shots were still around 8 to 10 seconds on the calm days.

Ron - I do use the app mentioned at times (assuming I remember to take my iPod with me. I also have a set of reciprocity numbers (probably 5 sets) for Velvia 50 that I keep in my pack. They both work even though there are a few times that are different, however the exposures being so long, several seconds becomes irrelevant. I can send the info to you if you would like.

kabbott - yes, Ektar and Portra are there.

While I like the reciprocity app, I just noticed he has changed its look and it is now more difficult to use, at least to me. Everything is so much smaller and harder to scroll.

Quote Originally Posted by kabbott View Post
    That reciprocity timer application looks pretty interesting -- does the app have data for Kodak Ektar and Kodak Portra? That would be worth the cost of the app alone in my opinion.
    Yes, here are most of the films that are covered...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395265858.246038.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	112451

Thanks for the comments everyone. It is alway interesting to find out which images strike a chord (if any.)

Stone - I actually mention in the first post that the weather ranged from calm to extremely windy over the three days. Although the early morning shots were still around 8 to 10 seconds on the calm days.

Ron - I do use the app mentioned at times (assuming I remember to take my iPod with me. I also have a set of reciprocity numbers (probably 5 sets) for Velvia 50 that I keep in my pack. They both work even though there are a few times that are different, however the exposures being so long, several seconds becomes irrelevant. I can send the info to you if you would like.

kabbott - yes, Ektar and Portra are there.

While I like the reciprocity app, I just noticed he has changed its look and it is now more difficult to use, at least to me. Everything is so much smaller and harder to scroll.
    I agree that the app is a little tighter now, I think the added features are worth it! It's Increadibly detailed with tons of features...

Here are some added benefits...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395265946.893737.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	112452

App with notes, programmed with a whole bunch of filters

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395265985.217576.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	112453

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395265995.067518.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	112454

A few more

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395266022.378507.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	112455

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395266027.796805.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	112456
    Also let's you take a call phone image and add your spot metering details for zone system work

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395266071.676074.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	112457

Take detailed notes

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395266088.966475.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	112458

And of course exporting the data to other places for keeping stored info off of your phone...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395266133.468857.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	112459

So yes it's a little tighter, I agree, but with so many features it's not so bad...

Mono Lake Set #1 & 2

I was at Mono Lake last month for about three days. Had a mix of weather, from calm to 30mph winds. If I recall correctly, 3 evenings and 2 mornings. I managed to get an image every session. Now whether they are any good or not, that is another story. I do find it a fascinating place, partly because, in and of themselves, the tufas are not exactly "pretty," although they certainly are unusual. It is one of the few area where I really do not focus on the more intimate image, but rather on the grand image with the sky being a main component. I'll be posting two groups of images and all of them were taken with an Ebony 8x10 on various Fuji films - Velvia 50, Velvia 100, and Provia. For the most part I was please with my images, specially considering a couple of these were in some 30 plus mph winds and exposures were sometimes a couple minutes. In any event, here are the first four. The first two were taken at that time of morning when the sky is that deep blue. Would have liked a nicer sky, but that wasn't to be. The third image had much more cloud structure with an exposure about 2 minutes. The fourth was where the sky really had some nice clouds.
    Nice group of images, Jim. Time at Mono very well spent.