Page 923 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 42382387391392192292392492593397310231423 ... LastLast
Results 9,221 to 9,230 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by Nana Sousa Dias View Post
    Stone, I hate developing films. I develop ALL my 50 and 100 asa films with Rodinal 1+50, continuous agitation. I'm not a lab rat. I always shoot at half the speed anouced by film manufacturers, just for improved shadow details. I use to do reciprocity failure tests with each film I use, and then I make my own reciprocity failure charts and, that's it. I do it because, sometimes, film manufacturers ar too much optimists, as is the case of Fomapan 100.

I had exactly one batch of film tested -- the Zone VI method -- once upon a time. It was supposedly 400 but actually 200.

Quote Originally Posted by finarphin View Post
    I had exactly one batch of film tested -- the Zone VI method -- once upon a time. It was supposedly 400 but actually 200.
    Film speed depends a lot on the developer we use, almost eveybody nows that but, I don't know what developers are used by the film manufacturers on their tests, they ALWAYS get more speed of their films than we do! ;-)
    Here is what I have concluded, for a few years using these films and Rodinal. I always use zone system and spot metering. Sometimes I use compensation time development, for contrast control, by ZS method (N+1, N+2, N-1, etc)

Indicated by manufacturer (asa / iso) Real film speed with Rodinal

Kodak Tmax 100............................................................... 64
    Fomapan 100 ................................................................. 50
    Fuji Acros 100 .................................................................64
    Adox Art series 100............................................................50
    Ilford FP4+ 125 ................................................................ 64
    Kodak Plus-x Pan 125........................................................ 64
    Ilford HP5+ 400 .............................................................. 200
    Kodak Tri-x 320 ...............................................................200

When I only had 35mm cameras, and started doing my own dev, I thought some films were "better" than others, or certain camera/lens/film combinations were a magic bullet. When I started with medium format and Rodinal, I quickly realised the film manufacturers were being a bit optimistic with their ISO figures, and more exposure/less development was the key. Still refining my developing technique with 4x5, but as with 120 I usually halve the stated speed and develop in Rodinal 1+50.

Unless I get hold of a densitometer, that's as scientific as my film speed testing gets but I'm glad others have confirmed, by methods imperious or scientific, my suspicions.

There are some truly inspiring shots on this forum

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maresias #251.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	120448

Shen Hao HZX 45 IIA, Schneider Symmar S 150mm, Fomapan 100.

Landscape Addict

Thats beautiful Nana, Deep rich tones and great, natural lines..
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Quote Originally Posted by alexn View Post
    Thats beautiful Nana, Deep rich tones and great, natural lines..
    Thanks, Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Jones View Post
    When I only had 35mm cameras, and started doing my own dev, I thought some films were "better" than others, or certain camera/lens/film combinations were a magic bullet. When I started with medium format and Rodinal, I quickly realised the film manufacturers were being a bit optimistic with their ISO figures, and more exposure/less development was the key. Still refining my developing technique with 4x5, but as with 120 I usually halve the stated speed and develop in Rodinal 1+50.

Unless I get hold of a densitometer, that's as scientific as my film speed testing gets but I'm glad others have confirmed, by methods imperious or scientific, my suspicions.

There are some truly inspiring shots on this forum
    Peter,

As far as I know, the only REAL magic combination is a good scenery, nice light and hope that the guy behind the gg doesn't spoil everything.

I think that, in landscape photography, the most important things to achieve a good photo are just two items...(assuming, of course, that the photographer can, already, control the technical aspects)

1 - Knowing WHAT to shoot.

2 - Knowing WHEN to shoot it.

If we can't control these 2 items, there isn't any lens/camera/film/developer combination that can "save" the photograph.

I could call it the NSD Formula but, I don't want people to call me narcisist, so I will call it the WW Formula.

Landscape Addict

Heres one from me (I never like posting anything after Nana... It makes me look really incompetent)

"Infinite"

045N-2, 90mm f/8
    Fomapan 100 @ 100
    2sec f/22
    #25 Red
    Dev: Rodinal 1:100 - 1hr Stand.
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Quote Originally Posted by alexn View Post
    Heres one from me (I never like posting anything after Nana... It makes me look really incompetent)

"Infinite"

045N-2, 90mm f/8
    Fomapan 100 @ 100
    2sec f/22
    #25 Red
    Dev: Rodinal 1:100 - 1hr Stand.
    Ahahahahah...don't say that, this is a hell of a photo and you know it!