Page 1109 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 109609100910591099110711081109111011111119115912091609 ... LastLast
Results 11,081 to 11,090 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Preston Birdwell

Re: Large Format Landscapes

I found this image from 2005 lurking in my archive. I was wandering around the Buttermilk Country in the Sierra on a quiet Autumn morning.

Tachihara 4x5
    180mm Fujinon
    Astia 100F

There surely is some really fine work posted here!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by David Hedley View Post
    Last week we did some off-trail hiking and scrambling to get to the face of the glacier in this photograph - the Feegletscher - which is the source of the Fee-Vispe river, and which is a tributary of the mighty Rhône. The degree to which this glacier has retreated, even in the last five or so years, is astonishing;

Sinar F, Rodenstock Grandagon-N 75mm, Fuji Acros / Xtol 1:1, orange filter
    Wow!

getaway by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

Edit: ah, excuse my indiscretion, I see now there is an old things thread that this would be most appropriate for.

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    I found this image from 2005 lurking in my archive. I was wandering around the Buttermilk Country in the Sierra on a quiet Autumn morning.

--P
    Lovely stuff Preston. The sense of depth and soft light on the mountain peaks is really nice. Dawn?

I spent a couple of days there on our honeymoon but not with a serious camera. Would love to go back.

Preston Birdwell

Thanks Adam! Yes, this was dawn. A 15 second exposure on Astia--fortunately, there was no wind. The silence was profound. It is lovely country.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by mat4226 View Post
    Hey David, I chalk-up the highlight retention in this image to the Pyrocat HD (N processing) and careful levels control while scanning. The CF = center filter, something that's great for precise work to avoid vignetting on 8x10 with the Schneider Super Symmar XL 150.
    Thanks Mat. I like the staining developers for the reason you mention, and I find it's easier to control the highlights while having a full tonal range in the image, and hence avoiding N-1 or N-2 compression in the development. I've been using Xtol recently, but have already decided to revert to PMK Pyro when I've used up the current batch. And thanks for the explanation of the centre filter acronym - I should have picked that up, d'oh.

And thanks, appletree, for your kind comment.

Feegletscher, Saas-Fee

It's rarely a good idea to shoot into the sun, but I didn't have much choice as there was a high risk of rock and icefall and we couldn't stay long. I wish I had developed this in something like PMK Pyro, however, in order to tame the contrast.

WOW, beautiful shot and persrective!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hedley View Post
    Älplisee, Arosa

Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Thanks stradibarrius. I took a few more shots at that location, with the idea of creating a panoramic image. This is where I've got to so far, and it's the first time I've knitted two 4x5 images together - it's far from perfect, but there's some potential here, imo. Next time, I might take vertical rather than horizontal images, for example;

Älplisee panoramic

Sinar F, Rodenstock Grandagon-N 75mm, Fuji Acros / Xtol 1:1, orange filter (for both images)

David, this is a fantastic series of images... I'd dash of to the mountains at once seeing your shots..
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.