Page 1371 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 37187112711321136113691370137113721373138114211471 ... LastLast
Results 13,701 to 13,710 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Updated image of Grand Canyon Toroweep September 2018. Shot with Chamonix 45H-1, 90mm Schneider Super Angulon f/5.6@f/32 on Portra 160. Scanned with Epson V850 as linear raw tiff, converted with Colorperfect and processed in Photoshop. This is the unsharpened version.
    I am still on the fence with cropping down further to remove the white sky on the upper right. When I look at it cropped that much it seems cramped. Thoughts?

Very beautiful, Steven! I like the bright spot of sky upper right; it balances the lighter area on the rocks in the image center.

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Very beautiful, Steven! I like the bright spot of sky upper right; it balances the lighter area on the rocks in the image center.
    Thank you!

I find the upper right very distracting. I suggest you try burning in to decrease the brightness in that area.

Magnificent view! I would keep the bright sky - it "shows me" where the light falling on the red rock face is coming from and it balances the image, which would otherwise be dark & rather murky. The dark vs. light interaction is like classical Chinese cooking (so I've read): it thrives on contrasts & "contradictions" like sweet/sour, or smooth/crunchy, etc. in the same dish (those slippery mushroom pieces are often put in the mix to provide a contrasting texture).

In your image, not only do we have the sky/rock-canyon contrast, but within the sky itself we have texture-cloudy on the left and breaking-light on the right.--alfredian

Quote Originally Posted by alfredian View Post
    Magnificent view! I would keep the bright sky - it "shows me" where the light falling on the red rock face is coming from and it balances the image, which would otherwise be dark & rather murky.
    I agree. Great shot just as it is.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

That is stunning Steven! Put me down for a "keep the bright sky" vote.
    Aaron Lehoux

My Flickr

Thank you all. I did try to burn it down a bit, but there is just nothing there. I exposed for the darkest part of the Canyon and didn't have any filter adapter at the time to use my grand ND. This was a tuff shot. I have several others from this trip and vantage point I need to look at to see how the clouds and light changed as I waited for what I hope I caught as the "perfect" or "best" light and clouds. These clouds were moving fast and the scene was changing fairly quickly as I waited. Hope I didn't wait too long.

I've given my comments on the other thread but I'm confused as to why you say "there is just nothing there." On your previous edit the sky wasn't blown out there at all. The Portra has plenty of range in the highlights.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I've given my comments on the other thread but I'm confused as to why you say "there is just nothing there." On your previous edit the sky wasn't blown out there at all. The Portra has plenty of range in the highlights.
    I will go back and look, but this part of the sky was essentially pure white to start with, if there was something there it was not much like 250-255, which is vaguely what I remember when I checked the original. But for sake of being thorough, I will check it again on the image just after I converted it with Colorperfect.