Page 781 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 2816817317717797807817827837918318811281 ... LastLast
Results 7,801 to 7,810 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

(Shrek)

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Quote Originally Posted by OCM View Post
    Hi.

This is my first photo here.

Panorama's window
    Fomapan 200@200 sheet 4x5" Sinar F2
    Rodenstock Sironar -N 210mm, F32, 1/15
    Developed with Fomadon Excel (stock) 6'

Locate in Mediana de Aragón (Zaragoza), Spain.[/CENTER]
    Oooh! Please post more!

I'm afraid my innocent comments addressed to Eddo, about checking out Edward Weston and Ansel Adams, were misunderstood by other folks in the forum. I certainly did not mean to sound patronizing. I understood Eddo was new to landscape photography and was asking others to post some sample photos to serve as inspiration, so I thought he might not know about those masters. I was amused by some of the crackling comments (it's the first time I've been compared to a troll, although my late wife might have agreed at times), but I've certainly been called worse in my 86 years. One of my former bosses was an ex-combat photographer in the Pacific Theater of WWII, and his specialty was screaming at the unlucky band of brothers employed as industrial advertising illustrators at Interstate Photographers in New York City. All our work was large format, but because we shot everything on location, we tended to travel with 4x5 rather than anything larger.

But back to my note about my preference to include a small human figure in my attempts at landscape photography. Many, if not most, of the classic landscape painters of the past preferred to include small figures -- a hunter, a pair of walkers, lolling lovers, etc. -- and others liked to introduce animals or birds (think of Van Gogh and the crows over a field of grain). I simply said it is my preference, but some of the thread's readers seem to feel I've committed heresy and am urging all to abandon their principles and fall into my line. No way! As far as "the human hand" is involved, even Ansel Adams occasionally selected subjects such as "Windmill and thundercloud, near Cimarron, New Mexico, ca. 1958", and "Moonrise Hernandez", and "Saint Francis Church, Ranchos de Taos, New Mexico. ca.1939". Edward Weston was swamped with negatives he created on trips commissioned by the federal government's Works Projects Administration and the Guggenheim because he did not stop shooting while traveling as long as three weeks at a time, mailing the undeveloped film back to his son Brett. After more than two years of that, he reportedly was stuck in the darkroom making prints. We'll never know how many he discarded. But he did a lot of different photography besides the nudes and vegetable studies. His landscapes started in the 1920s and continued through the 1930s with sand dunes at Oceano and geometric plantings in "Tomato Field, Big Sur, 1937". In the 1940s he embraced the Point Lobos area in a surge of work characterized by reviewers as "landscapes", although I doubt that description would be accepted by some of this thread's posters.
    Last edited by Ralph Barker; 17-Dec-2013 at 05:42. Reason: at poster's request

Hi.

Panorama's window

Locate in Mediana de Aragón (Zaragoza), Spain.
    How come all there new to LF guys are so much better at taking photos than me? It's not fair!!

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    How come all there new to LF guys are so much better at taking photos than me? It's not fair!!
    Amen!

My gut feeling is that while OCM may be new to the forum, that is not his first large format image. OCM, that's a superb example of great seeing and a super image.

Keith

Well, my working toward creating a successful LF landscape image continues.

The image I posted above was actually the first photograph of the day. This one was my last one of the day. After wandering around the Oceana Dunes for a few hours the sun was beginning to set and as I'm not huge of sunset photos and I had one remaining piece of film I decided to break all of the "rules" and try shooting directly into the sun and see if I could catch just the highlights on the top of the dunes and a little detail. It seems that I got lucky.

Oceana Dunes, CA by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr

This next image was made a few minutes prior to the one above. I was walking around looking at the incredible light brushing across the sand when a glare on top of an upcoming dune caught my attention. I walked toward it and saw two plastic bottles discarded on the sand. Honestly, it made me quite angry and I was walking up to pick them up when I noticed how beautifully the wind had pushed the sand around them. I didn't know if there was an interesting image here but I set up the camera so that the light was just coming across the sand and the top of the bottle and clicked the shutter. I'm not sure if this qualifies as landscape or still life but I'm including it here anyway.

Oceana Dunes, CA by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr

Deardorff 4x5 Special
    Kodak 10" Commercial Ektar
    Fuji Acros 100 4x5 film

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    I had one remaining piece of film I decided to break all of the "rules" and try shooting directly into the sun and see if I could catch just the highlights on the top of the dunes and a little detail. It seems that I got lucky.
    Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co
    Good idea! It worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Oooh! Please post more!
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    Amen!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Fleming View Post
    My gut feeling is that while OCM may be new to the forum, that is not his first large format image. OCM, that's a superb example of great seeing and a super image.

Keith
    Thank you very much guys. You are very friendly.

It gives me much respect to upload pictures here, with such high level.

Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    Well, my working toward creating a successful LF landscape image continues.

Deardorff 4x5 Special
    Kodak 10" Commercial Ektar
    Fuji Acros 100 4x5 film

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Tim, this really is a great job. Simply spectacular.

Greetings.

Hi.

Panorama's window

Locate in Mediana de Aragón (Zaragoza), Spain.
    Very nicely done, Omar! Great first post and please keep them coming.