Page 1175 of 1715 FirstFirst ... 175675107511251165117311741175117611771185122512751675 ... LastLast
Results 11,741 to 11,750 of 17147

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Huub

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Nice picture anyway. As a wide angle for the format i can recommend a Fujinon 105mm f8, which aren't too expensive and have loads of coverage.

McCoy

Great composition!
    - McCoy

Vallantho

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    Rowsley to Chatsworth, Derbyshire Peak District

Linhof Technikardan S45, Schneider 150mm Apo-Symmar, Ilford Delta 100, Lee Yellow/Orange #16 filter

2º rear tilt back, 2º front tilt front, 8mm front fall, exposure not recorded, but f/32 likely. Easter Monday 2016

"scanned" on lightbox with D800E and 60f/2.8 AF-S micro, four shots stitched in CS6.

Larger version in my 5x4 flickr album
    Something about this image brings up a lot of memories. So many times when I was a kid my cleaning obsessed mother would send me and my sister out with my dad while he would hang around with old farts on cold, wet, muddy farm tracks and fields, while she spent the hours hovering.

Those days were never highlights of my childhood.

If I'm right in thinking this was taken on a cold, wet, miserable day, then fair play to you for getting yourself out there. Those are the kind of days I could never make a picture. And yet those are probably some of the days that make the best pictures.

Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post

Sun-bleached Wood, Kangaroo Ridge
    Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 19.5cm X 24.4 cm, from a 8x10 Fomapan 200 negative exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camera fitted with a Wollensak 159mm f9.5 lens. Signed, titled, and stamped verso.
    Beautiful image , reminds me of the burnt snow gums in the Victorian high plains.
    Cheers Shane

Vallantho

Spring is in the air so thought i'd share this spring time photo i took last year. If i recall correctly it was taken on Ilford Delta 100 4x5 using my 210mm lens. Not sure if i used a yellow or light red filter. Definitely used a grad of some description. It was early evening and the fields were just glowing.

Nice one Vallantho!

Quote Originally Posted by Vallantho View Post
    Something about this image brings up a lot of memories. So many times when I was a kid my cleaning obsessed mother would send me and my sister out with my dad while he would hang around with old farts on cold, wet, muddy farm tracks and fields, while she spent the hours hovering.

Those days were never highlights of my childhood.

If I'm right in thinking this was taken on a cold, wet, miserable day, then fair play to you for getting yourself out there. Those are the kind of days I could never make a picture. And yet those are probably some of the days that make the best pictures.

Nice work!
    You're very kind indeed, very thoughtful.
    This is a location which I've been familiar with for many years, but the composition only jumped out at me over Easter. This is the mid-point of a walk I used to do while at school in the area some decades ago; it's also the start of a walk I did with my wife the day after our wedding - needless to say it was throwing it down with rain then also.

My wife and I did a quick walk around the village on the Easter weekend, when I just had my iphone with me. I found the scene, and composed a shot with Artist's Viewfinder, determining that 150mm on 5x4 would do the trick. I was then keen to revisit to get the 'proper' shot. It was raining and drizzling throughout when I returned the following day, but the bonus here is that I have positioned the camera just under a railway bridge out of shot. This isn't to say that I or the gear didn't get wet while setting up, because they did, but the shooting experience and process wasn't hampered by the conditions; perhaps most importantly there wasn't very much wind that I remember. I just took the gear out of the bag when I got home and let it dry out for a while.
    As regards setting up the shot, as a newcomer to large format having only bought my Technikardan second hand a month or so ago, I can, oddly, say that I find the process less fussy than with digital, within the shooting parameters that the format allows. Shooting with my Nikon on these circumstances (which I actually can't do since I don't have a tilt-shift normal lens), I would have been hassled with using a rain sleeve, and worried about changing lenses etc. With a lump of metal, leather, and a ground glass (plus the excellent paramo waterproof dark cloth), I feel far less stressed and am happy to swap out lenses, knowing that the film is safe in the bag until the moment it is needed.
    I'm still struggling with choice of exposure occasionally, but I'm loving the whole experience. Wish the kit didn't weight *quite* so much, but, with two exceptions, I haven't yet had to walk too far from the car!
    http://www.davidfearnphotography.co.uk
    see too my 5x4 and 8x10 flickr albums

Mt. Rainier National Park

Chamonix 45n-2
    Nikkor 200m
    Ektachrome 100G

Glaciers and Flowers
    by Jeff Ross, on Flickr
    Last edited by ross; 12-Apr-2016 at 23:11.

Vallantho

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    You're very kind indeed, very thoughtful.
    This is a location which I've been familiar with for many years, but the composition only jumped out at me over Easter. This is the mid-point of a walk I used to do while at school in the area some decades ago; it's also the start of a walk I did with my wife the day after our wedding - needless to say it was throwing it down with rain then also.

My wife and I did a quick walk around the village on the Easter weekend, when I just had my iphone with me. I found the scene, and composed a shot with Artist's Viewfinder, determining that 150mm on 5x4 would do the trick. I was then keen to revisit to get the 'proper' shot. It was raining and drizzling throughout when I returned the following day, but the bonus here is that I have positioned the camera just under a railway bridge out of shot. This isn't to say that I or the gear didn't get wet while setting up, because they did, but the shooting experience and process wasn't hampered by the conditions; perhaps most importantly there wasn't very much wind that I remember. I just took the gear out of the bag when I got home and let it dry out for a while.
    As regards setting up the shot, as a newcomer to large format having only bought my Technikardan second hand a month or so ago, I can, oddly, say that I find the process less fussy than with digital, within the shooting parameters that the format allows. Shooting with my Nikon on these circumstances (which I actually can't do since I don't have a tilt-shift normal lens), I would have been hassled with using a rain sleeve, and worried about changing lenses etc. With a lump of metal, leather, and a ground glass (plus the excellent paramo waterproof dark cloth), I feel far less stressed and am happy to swap out lenses, knowing that the film is safe in the bag until the moment it is needed.
    I'm still struggling with choice of exposure occasionally, but I'm loving the whole experience. Wish the kit didn't weight *quite* so much, but, with two exceptions, I haven't yet had to walk too far from the car!
    I like a little story behind a picture. It's good to relate to an image personally and also see it through the eyes of the creator. Thanks for sharing.

I find revisiting a location over and over to be a rewarding experience. Trying to find something new to see in a well know place can be a challenge and can be very rewarding when you get it right.

I had a look at your flicker account and I can see a lot of things in your work that you can bring to larger formats. I completely agree that working this way is a lot less fussy than digital. Not just that though. I started with digital. I tried to go back. But I really didn't enjoy it. I just felt so removed from the process. Like the camera was the master and I was just there to push a button. Maybe you've gotten a sense of something like that?

Good luck on your journey!

Vallantho

A picture I made a couple of days ago. I was feeling the pull of Spring so I headed out to a place I'd had a good experience with previously.

It wasn't as alive as I was hoping for. Still early days. But life will burst forth soon so I'll be out there again in the weeks to come.

But those damn cows man! They were totally out of shot. This whole image was gonna be about the trees. I got everything set up and ready to go when a cloud got between me and and a good exposure. While I waited for the return of optimum conditions those cows saw what I was up to and decided to get in on the action.

I was like, "Well if you want to be part of this your gonna have to stay still for a quarter second". And you know what? They actually obliged! So I don't feel too bad about there intrusion into the scene.

I shot it on fomapan 100 8x10. Light red filter. Quite a large SBR, about six and a half stops. Gave it an N-Roughly 1 development time. Worked out pretty ok I think.