Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you transport your LF?

Re: How do you transport your LF?

I use a Lowepro Super Trekker AW. I've had it for some time, and the new ones may have a better suspension, but mine doesn't carry as well as my Dana Design pack. The problem with top loading packs is that it takes more time to get your gear out. Seconds count when the light is changing. If you're moving around between compositions, the photo backpacks save even more time.

When I used my Dana pack, I bought a couple of plastic containers; one for the camera and some accessories and the other for the lenses. I lined them with open cell foam. That kept things relatively organized and meant that I only had to remove two items from my pack when setting up. The advantages to using a conventional backpack are 1) cost because you may already have a pack, 2) you likely will have more space for a parka and other personal gear, and 3) better suspension.

Photo backpacks are much more expensive than high end backpacks. Justification of the cost differential is a personal thing.

Good cameras, lenses, etc. are carried in various backpacks and camera bags. B&J Commercial Views are wrapped in an old quilt and a dark cloth and tossed in the back of my pick'um up truck . . . can't hurt 'em so I don't worry about it.

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

I use an Eckla Multi-Rolly for when I want to take "everything" (it has a built-in seat on the side opposite the gear) http://www.eckla.de/multirolly.html
    … and the oversized wheels follow me through any terrain.
    For 'deeper insertion missions' I use my old Domke Outback Photo Backpack (impossible to find these days).
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

I think the Lowepro supper trekker would be a good choice.
    Does anyone of you use this backpack with a sinar f2 or something equal?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    Hello,

I´m new to this forum, and I like to say hello at first.
    HELLO

My first and biggest question is, how do you transport your 4x5 (and larger) system, to use it in nature, on travel or on any other location?

Do you use a backpack or a case, or may be something different?

Some photos of your stuff in the case/backpack or what ever, would be very interessting for me, to let me find a solution too. <- I´m using a Sinar F2.

Many thanks in advance.

Bes regards
    Mario

I've tried lots of stuff----cheap stuff because...well..I'm cheap
    The current line-up:
    The 5x7 Speeder and film holders ride in a Jansport Equinox day pack--there are straps for a tilt-all tripod to ride along.
    The 8x10 'dorff rides in a army surplus cooler designed to accomodate a 5 gallon water jug---pleny of room for the 'dorff, holders, dark cloth and other stuff. I've also got a Kelty Redwing
    ($50 from REI on clearance) for the trail.
    Graphic View II has it's own vulcanoid case.
    12x20 Folmer & Schwing has it's own fiber-oid case too, It dosent travel very far from home.
    An Igloo Playmate cooler works well for smaller cameras. It dosen't look like a camera bag.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White