Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jobo 3005 or btzs tubes for 8x10

jobo 3005 or btzs tubes for 8x10

I have gone through jobo 2480 (uneven) then tray processing (scratch). I am thinking an "upgrade". Is Jobo 3005 or BTZS tubes good? Which one to use? Any advice would be welcome.

Re: jobo 3005 or btzs tubes for 8x10

I have used both for 4x5 but neither for 8x10. I imagine the issues are about the same. The advantage of the Jobo is processing multiple sheets at once. Not sure how many the Jobo drum holds. The BTZS tube obviously processes just one sheet but that allows you the versatility of using different developers, dilutions, times for each individual sheet of film but can be more cumbersome for processing larger quantities for film.

I assume that the 8x10 BTZS tube would be easier to use in a water bath of you do not have a Jobo processor also.

For the Jobo, the 3000 series drums give even developing. I have never tried the reels for sheet film but the expert drums work well.

Thanks. I have only experience with non Lift Jobo, is the 3005 would need a pipe to get things in and out of the drum. I am thinking about hand rolling. Also, is the pump important to 3000 series?

I process 4x5, 5x7 & 8x10 in my hobo in both the 3005 & 3006 drums. I purchased a BTZS 8x10 tube to run single sheets but don't really care for it. The BTZS tube scratches my film when removing it and allows it to move around during processing causing scratched. By far the jpbo is the winner. I would suggest using a beseler or uniroller to rotate the drum. I've used them and find them very easy to use and very consistent.

Bob

Yes the pump is important. I doubt I could get the lid off without it.

Quote Originally Posted by RPNugent View Post
    Yes the pump is important. I doubt I could get the lid off without it.
    you can get he lid off with very little effort. if you do not put it on super hard that helps with the removal. you can also just lightly tap it on a sharp corner and this helps to dislodge it. with practice you can also open it by hand.....again it all goes back to how hard you put it on.

you do not need a removal tool or a sponge either. the film is very easy to grab with your fingers. if i need to dry it i just push a paper towel into the hole with a pencil. works like a charm....or get two drums......

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

paper fibers from the paper towels. i have had no problems with sponge particles though

Quote Originally Posted by z_photo View Post
    paper fibers from the paper towels. i have had no problems with sponge particles though
    get better paper towels!

cloth works too......
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I've used the BTZS 8x10 tubes and liked them a lot. I used three at a time, any more than that and I didn't have room in my darkroom sink to roll them back and forth. I've processed at least a thousand sheets of 4x5 and 8x10 film in BTZS tubes (far more 4x5than 8x10 but probably 100 or so 8x10) and never had the first scratch.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have never had scratching problems with 4x5 BTZS tubes. I have 12 tubes. Perhaps your tube has a plastic burr on the edge? I have not seen the 8x10 tubes. Maybe they are designed differently.

I use the BTZS tubes now while my Jobo sits, but that is because I use the BTZS system for determining exposure and development time. If you are using a simplified zone system or shoot a number of sheets of film in identical lighting, then the Jobo would be more time efficient. For example, I have 3 Jobo 3010 drums so I could easily process 30 sheets of 4x5 film in a couple of hours. Using the BTZS tubes would take much longer. But if I had 30 sheets of exposed film of different types, different lighting, using different developers or dilutions, etc. then the BTZS tubes win for time, convenience, and low consumption of chemistry.

Also, Jobo is basically dead. My CPP unit is lightly used but over 10 years old. I don't want to start a system that I will be forced to change later (like using TMAX Readiloads and Polymax paper!). Of course, maybe I should just get used to it.