Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy gg retaining clips?

Question Where to buy gg retaining clips?

I'm building a wood camera and need hardware, in particular ground glass retaining clips. If anyone knows where I can locate a retailer who stocks such hardware I would be quite appreciative. Thanks, Martin.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Where to buy gg retaining clips?

Quote Originally Posted by mbphoto7 View Post
    I'm building a wood camera and need hardware, in particular ground glass retaining clips. If anyone knows where I can locate a retailer who stocks such hardware I would be quite appreciative. Thanks, Martin.
    Martin, sorry I don't have a source for you but they are very easy to make out of brass. Get some brass stock from a hardware store and then just copy one if you have something to copy. I made some to match a Deardorff and you can't tell the difference without looking closely.

Jim

Like Jim, I made some for a Deardorff back I was restoring. I used stainless steel and though it is a bit harder to work with than brass, it is still quite simple to do.

Ben

I think I have some retaining clips from an 8x10 Deardorff. I'll look in the morning and let you know, if I can find them I'll just give them to you.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks, Brian. I have plenty of braising rods and old brass stock I can work. I was just hoping there was somewhere out there that might stock such things. I can make a spring back in a few hours if I can find a regular supply source for springs and retaining clips.

They can be made, its not too hard.

You could also buy them from a camera manufacturer, Canham or what-his-name in Vermont come to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    You could also buy them from a camera manufacturer, Canham or what-his-name in Vermont come to mind...
    Richard Ritter probably has a large bin of these parts, or could make them to order.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

I make them out of half hard stainless steel. Easy.

Eric Woodbury

I'm building a camera, too. I'm not worried about the gg clips. In the past I've made them from brass and I think I may have glued one gg in with silicon. I see that gears can be had from McMaster and most other hardware is conventional or easy to make. The one that always throws me are the springs for the back. I have bought these from Calumet as replacement springs and I have salvaged them from other old cameras. This round I was lucky and got some parts from an old dealer of that guy from back east. What do the rest of you do?

And the bellows? What are your favorites? I have used a company here in CA, but I find their bellows too stiff. I'd like one like the one on my Ebony or some other soft bellows that would allow some rise/fall with wide angles on cold days. Doesn't have to be leather. My bellows is designed to be tapered and 400mm (16") long. This is for a 4x5.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com