Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Bags for film holders

Plastic Bags for film holders

I've been using Ziploc two gallon freezer bags for larger film holders (4x10 and 5x7 primarily) for several years. Recently, I haven't been able to find them at WalMart, Target, Safeway, or Kings Soopers (funny name, but it's the Colorado Kroger franchise). In fact, I haven't seen any two gallon plastic bags on the shelves. Have the plastic bag manufacturers discontinued this size? Any suggestions on products or sources.

Re: Plastic Bags for film holders

I thought they were for a while too and couldn't find them on ziploc's site. Kmart here has them and Meijer (the greatest store in the world) has them in Michigan. I stocked up.

might also look here
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Someone not long ago alerted us to McMaster Carr's plastic bag offerings, and I placed an order for some to store my 16X20 and 14X17 film in. The bags come in a wide variety of sizes, large and small, and are very heavy duty - better than your supermarket variety.

I find them in my local grocery store. It's a regional chain, so it isn't all that large. I imagine your local sources are either out or stopped carrying them. You can ask that they stock them; most stores will if asked.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

You can also go to an industrial supply company like Uline and order them in bulk. Not saying they are the only supply company by any means. Just one that I am aware of. If others have ones they use, please feel free to post them as well.

For re-closable poly bags like ziplocks here is a size list on this link.

http://www.uline.com/BL_217/Resealable-Bags
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

I've taken to using antistatic bags that I get from a friend in the alarm buisness. They are used to wrap boards, etc for shipment. Any computer store that does some repair will have these on hand and may let you have them for free or a very low price (they just throw them away). No ziplock, but I just fold them up and wrap a rubber band around it. I have no idea if the antistatic does anything, but it can't hurt.

Dick Petersen

Yeah, I know about Uline, etc., but want to be able to find these locally, and when I want them. Here's what I got back from the manufacturer:

"We're sorry to hear you've had difficulty finding Ziploc? Brand Freezer Bags in the 2 gallon size.

"This product is still available, but distributors in your area may not be including it in their orders. We recommend you talk with the store manager at a large supermarket or at a Wal-Mart, Kmart, or Target store. Retailers are usually interested in carrying the products their customers want.

"You can also order this product directly from us. This is a special service we offer to consumers who can't find one of our products. If you would like to place an order, call 800-848-2588 and we will be happy to help."

The search continues.

The Uline products look good and are probably suitable for most uses. For those of you who might need more than 1.5 mil or 4 mil thicknesses, McMaster Carr sells the same sizes in 8 mil. They seem extremely tough and resistant to wear and tear.

By the way, MC ships very quickly - usually two to three days (to Seattle from California, I think).

Here is a source for anti static bags. The link is for the size I use for 8x10 holders, but they make other sizes as well.
    http://www.eskimo.com/~gclaunch/10x14Pinkz.html