Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: (light weight) Lensboard for Shen-Hao

Re: (light weight) Lensboard for Shen-Hao

[QUOTE=Really Big Cameras;427975]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post

There's no way any generic technika style lensboard weigh anywhere close to 100g - that's over 3.5 ounces. As I stated above, I weighed several genuine Linhof and Wista boards, as well as multiple "brands" of generic technika style boards. All were drilled for Coapl 1 shutters and all weighed between 1.4 and 1.6 oz. If anything the genuine Linhof boards were slightly heavier (about 0.1 oz. on average) than the generic boards.

I just received a large shipment of generic technika style lensboards from a reliable supplier. I weigh 20 boards (Copal 1 hole) and they were all between 1.40 and 1.45 oz.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras
    I didn't say they weighed that much. I said they weigh 1.8 oz on a US Postage scale.

Brad said they weigh maybe 100 grams.

Please check your quotes.

www.reallybigcameras.com

I didn't say they weighed that much. I said they weigh 1.8 oz on a US Postage scale.

Bob,

The problem with the quotes goes back to your original response to Brad. You forgot to add the closing [/quote] tag to your post. As a result, every post made in response, including your latest one, has messed up quote tags.

Since I can't go back and edit my previous post, here's the entire exchange with proper attributions:

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    A standard, generic technika style lens board made of aluminum maybe weighs 100g......so....the lens board is something like 3% of the total weight of the camera.
    The Linhof and Wista flat boards are about half that weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Cameras View Post
    There's no way any generic technika style lensboard weigh anywhere close to 100g - that's over 3.5 ounces. As I stated above, I weighed several genuine Linhof and Wista boards, as well as multiple "brands" of generic technika style boards. All were drilled for Coapl 1 shutters and all weighed between 1.4 and 1.6 oz. If anything the genuine Linhof boards were slightly heavier (about 0.1 oz. on average) than the generic boards.

I just received a large shipment of generic technika style lensboards from a reliable supplier. I weigh 20 boards (Copal 1 hole) and they were all between 1.40 and 1.45 oz.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    Shen-Hao TFC45-IIB is 1.7kg, or same as Tachihara's lightest...

I like the Shen-Hao TFC45-IIB, and can buy it and accessories at low cost in their store in Shanghai.

Much thanks to all advises in posts above...

Anders
    My mistake. I did not see which model. The common Shen Hao HZX 4x5 II field camera weighs a pound or two more than the Tachihara.

I've hand carved a couple lensboards from flat 1/8th Bubinga wood, and found that it is much lighter than the metal boards, but also much more fragile. I don't have a postage scale, but if the metal board weighs 1.6 oz I would guess that the woods ones weigh about .8oz. They are certainly nice looking and fit very well in the camera because I carved the necessary notches to fit exactly with my camera. Sadly, the #00 board I made broke when it was stressed. I needed to make that board thinner to provide focus with the 65mm lens and I think it weakened the board too much.

I just received a large shipment of generic technika style lensboards from a reliable supplier. I weighed 20 boards (Copal 1 hole) and they were all between 1.40 and 1.45 oz.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras
    Thanks Kerry. You have supplied strong evidence in support of my statement. Obviously, I was just pulling numbers out of the air to demostrate a point. The fact that I grossly over estimated the weight of a lensboard...well, it only strengthens my point - doesn't it?

[QUOTE=Bob Salomon - HP Marketing;428006]

For reference, I put the four boards I have at the lab on an analytical balance:

generic Copal 0 - 43g
    generic Copal 1 - 38g
    Linhof Copal 3 - 38g
    Linhof recessed Copal 0 with old-style quicksocket - 75g
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

I must confess that my memory from when I first demoed the Shen-Hao was false... I now have the TFC45-IIB and the lens board weighs next to nothing . I think they are made of aluminum.

Because I bought the 617 adapter also I bought a recessed Shen Hao lens board for my 75mm lens and that one too is very very light. Pardon my newity to 4x5... but the Shen Hao do seem very lovely ... I like it. Still more to learn...

Anders

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    I think I found the answer: lensboard made of wood...
    You can make a lensboard from 1/16th birch plywood - you can find it at model toy stores (people use it for RC airplanes).

It doesn't feel particularly sturdy so I'd suggest making a spare or two to throw in your bag for emergencies. I think two of them would still be lighter than a metal board... but of course this is a pretty insignificant weight savings. Maybe 10 to 20 grams for a single board?