Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone VI Ultralight - why not?

Zone VI Ultralight - why not?

Hello All,

I am in search of a new 4x5 field to replace my Linhof Technikardan currently be ing auctioned off. I am after something light yet with long enough bellows draw to fous a 450mm at least at infinity, and I prefer to spend as little as possib le given a choice (so, no Ebony in the budget right now). The newest Zone VI 4x 5 Ultralight weighs in at only 4 pounds yet will focus even a 480mm, and all for only $1499 new. Doesn't this seem like a great combo of weight/extension/price factors? Any users of this new Ultralight version want to share their hands-on experience? Unfortunately I do not have a Calumet retail store anywhere close to me to look at these in person.

Thanks in advance!

I would consider the Canham DLC 45. I just bought one last month, and have been amazed. It has a roughly 21" bellows, and doesn't need a bag bellows for a 75mm lens. Not sure about a 65mm lens, but the shortest I own is a 75.

Yes, the Canham retails for $2300, but the extra moeny is well worth it. It weighs in at something like 5 pounds 11 ounces.

Ross,

You might want to also consider the Phillips 4x5. I haven't seen it or the Zone VI Ultrlight in person (but I am a former owner of a non-Ultralight Zone VI). From what I've read, the Phillips is more rigid than the Zone VI. I've also talked to someone who has used both the Phillips and the Canham DLC (I myself am a long time DLC owner having bought one of the first ones Keith made) and he assured me the Phillips is more rigid than the Canham.

I'm not saying the Phillips is the camera for you, but it's worthy of consideration. With the "Light" bellows (VERY similar to the Canham bellows) and the spring back it weighs 3.9 lbs and has 18" of bellows extension. With these bellows, the manufacturer claims it can be used with a 58mm lens on a flat lensboard. Other bellows and back options are avilable. The price is $1775 including a tubular focusing cloth.

I haven't seen one of these cameras, but I have seen several 8x10 Phillips models over the years and have always been impressed with both the construction and design philosophy of these cameras. Dick Phillips seems to put an emphasis on designing and building cameras that are both as light and as rigid as possible. He accomplishes this by omitting unnecessary features that don't do anything but add weight, reduce rigidity and increase cost.

I just talked with Mr. Phillips on the phone last Friday and requested information on his 4x5 model. He is very friendly to talk to on the phone, and sent the information I requested promptly. He is also a photographer, so he knows what works well and what doesn't in the field - and his cameras incorporate that knowledge in their design. If this sounds like a product you might be interested in, give him a call and request the information packet (517-835-7897).

Yes, the Canham is also a very versatile camera that is light and compact (the official spec is 4 lb. 11 oz. - mine weighs 4 lb. 14 oz). It's also worthy of consideration, but at $2300 it's substanitally more expensive than the Zone VI (or the Phillips). Still give it careful consideration so you know what you might be giving up to save some money.

Kerry

Ross: I first knew there was a lightweight Zone VI camera when I saw it on the shelf at Calumet. I've been using the non-lightweight version for about 12 years or so. I was favorably impressed, it seemed like the same camera I was used to, it was just much lighter. (Reminded me of when you reach for the full milk carton and find out it's empty and your hand goes flying up in the air. It's that light if you're used to the other one.) I did the math about selling the one I had and getting one of those, but it didn't make sense since I already have a very light Ikeda I use for backpacking. There was an earlier question somebody asked about this camera that went unanswered, which surprised me a bit since I thought this was a camera which would tempt people to buy it. There are detractors of the Zone VI design but I'm happy with it. I don't use a lens shorter than 90 mm, however.

Hi Ross. Don't know much about the unltralight, but I have read it is a much better camera than the original Zone VI. I'm just sticking my two cents in because the Phillips 4x5 was mentioned. I am one of the lucky few that have this wonderful little camera. Mine has the combination bellows and the international back so it weighs 4.7 pounds. You can get it with the light weight bellows and the spring back and it will weight about 4. I played with a number of other cameras before buying this one including the Arca Swiss Field, Canham, Wisner Pocket Expedition, Wistas. The only one I looked at that I liked better than the Phillips was the Arca Swiss, but it was $1000 more and a couple of pound heavier. Good luck.

I do not know much about the other cameras but also once owned a Technica V. I have also played alot with the Zone VI. Although it doesn't seem to have much substance it holds up quite well and is quite sturdy. I was alot more abusive to the camera. Done things I never would have done with my Roles Royce Linhof. It also sped up working time since I didn't really worry to much about a large investment. It came home the same way it left, in perfect working order. Things to get used to is that it is quite simple. Everything slides {no geared movement}and locks when tightened down. Very good degree of movement keeping in mind that it is not a view camera. I did miss the free moving back movements of the Linhof though I never really used them. The bail that opens up the back to insert film holders is so simple and completely awesome. Accessories are cheap relatively speaking and easily found new. Two pieces of advice. Buy the bright screen for an additional $200.00 and throw away the groung glass it comes with. Buy something anything to hang on your tripod. One of those cheapy bookbags that you can throw some nearby rocks into. Finally call Calumets 800 # ask for someone who knows large format they are usually more than happy to talk to you.

Thank you for all the responses so far. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I have owned an Iston, previous version Zone VI, Tachihara, Wista DX, Toyo AX, Linhof TK, and used or carefully examined Canham DLC, all Wisner 4x5's, all Horseman 4x5 fields, Linhof Technika, and some Arca-Swiss. Obviously I am having trouble locating my one true love! I realize the perfect 4x5 does not exist, and each camera I've owned has had it's share of virtues as well as irritations.

I will still consider a few of the cameras I've not had an opportunity to see yet, but one question remains: If the new Ultralight Zone VI is Calumet's #3 best selling product currently (according to their website), then why are their no actual owners responding to this and other threads about the camera? Seems strange to me.

There is really only one wooden field camera to consider for a serious LF photographer....the Ebony. Simply the best. Anything else is a compromise.

Jonny

Well Jonny, unfortunatly for those of us who do not have unlimited financial resources, *compromise* is a fact of life. Thank God the artistry of a photographer is not dependent on how expensive his/her camera is or the size of the wallet...

The Germans have a phrase that essentially says "But quality and you only cry once - when you buy it" "Buy inferior and you cry about it every time you use it." After the list of cameras you have been through and are still looking, the odds are pretty good that the Ultra Light or any other $1500 camera will not be the perfect camera either. If I were you I would find a way to get the Ebony and hope that your camera trading days are behind you.