Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive?

Inexpensive?

Any idea why this camera would go cheaply? 2 hours left at $175.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Nagaoka-4x5-Cherry-Wood-Large-Format-Field-View-Camera_W0QQitemZ160303024002QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item160303024002&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1234|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Re: Inexpensive?

Until the auction is over, it's not inexpensive. Lots of auctions start at $0.99 and most of the serious bidding takes place in the last seconds of the auction. Posting the link here is probably not the best recipe for getting a good deal, so maybe think of privately PMing a couple members to get their opinions if you're unsure about a particular item. The Nagoaka has a good reputation and it looks like the buyer has honestly represented it. Good luck if you're bidding.

I wasn't going to bid on it. Just curious.
    I'll be marking and watching a lot of auctions now.

neophyte

It'll probably go $4-500. If serious about buying stuff via the evil empire ;-) get a sniping program. jbidwatcher is good.

18 minutes to go... $256

Still enough time for it to double, if not more. I mark auctions for viewing. Once marked I never look until the last five minutes. All the action is in the last two. Only newbys run the auction up before the end.

If I am bidding or interested, I put my top price in an automated bidding system (snipe) and set the bid for 3 seconds before the auction. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but I NEVER pay more than my top price, because I don't watch auctions I am bidding on. I get a notice if I win... that's all I need.

The snipe system I use is www.auctionsniper.com. I have won often, and many times for less than my top bid entered in auctionsniper. That's because eBay and it's bidders don't know I'm out there. When I lose, it's usually to another sniper who entered a higher bid than my highest.

Another advantage to sniping is that I am always shopping, so if I find the item somewhere else, I can cancel the snipe without repercussions from eBay, because "I don't exist as a bidder to them"!

I use bidslammer.
    I can set up any number of snipes for similar items in a group that I create. That way, it bids for them and stops once it wins an item from that group.
    I just used that to get a cheap kit lens for my DSLR (passing it on to the kid for Christmas). I won the third lens I listed in my group for $25 less than the first lens went for.

Went for $290.
    No front shift I noticed and I'm not sure if the back could be oriented for portrait.

Bargain, or no bargain?

Yes, the back can be oriented for portrait.

Someone just got a very good deal on a sweet little camera. Two factors come to mind: the market is rather soft at the moment, and auctions that end on weekdays usually don't bring the best price.

That's what a Nagaoka bellows normally looks like, and the scratches are par for the course on a Nagaoka that's been in use for a while.

The Nagaoka isn't for everybody. It's a little bit on the rickety side; it's not a camera you want if utmost rigidity is a concern or you want to use heavy lenses. But for my taste it's a delight to carry and to use - it's featherweight, and can be opened and closed in a jiffy by feel alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Camper View Post
    Bellows didn't look great, lot of scratches. For a few hundred more you get a nice new Chamonix with front shifts, etc. The 45N1 is $778 new. If your not saving a lot of $, why bother with Ebay

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/45.html
    Plus $70 shipping... comes to $848. That is quite a bit more than the $290 (+ shipping) that this auction brought. IMO the buyer probably got a good deal, and of said buyer had purchased the Chamonix they would unlikely bring about better final images (unless one was in a situation where one really needed the front shift on the Chamonix.)

Sometimes... sometimes, one can get a good deal on eBay if one is patient. As pointed out above, this camera was showing some wear on the back, and the limited movements probably also turned off some buyers. And, "Nagaoka" as a brand name has no cachet.