Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plastic bottles for photo chemicals

Plastic bottles for photo chemicals

I need 2 of them in 16 oz size. There is currently nothing that small in my stash of scrounged whiskey, vino, and pharacutical bottles. I do have a Delta "data-tainer" but there is only one and it's a 32 ouncer I went to both a local camera store and also looked on line and the 16 oz Delta plastic bottles are $1.99 on line and $1.89 locally.
    A wee bit steep for an empty bottle (albeit one that you can write on)
    My 32 ouncer has a triangle on the bottom with a "2" inside. For the fun of it I went to Wal-mart and found 16 oz. brown plastic bottles of hydrogen peroxide and on the bottom is the same triangle with a "2" inside.
    Oh yeah, and they cost .69 cents each.
    I figuring that I can make my own labels for far less than $1.30!
    Aside from having to find a use for 32 ounces of hydrogen peroxide, is there any reason why these wouldn't work?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Plastic bottles for photo chemicals

"Aside from having to find a use for 32 ounces of hydrogen peroxide, is there any reason why these wouldn't work?"

Nope - and because they contain hydrogen peroxide, they are very easy to wash out - just rinse in water.

Eric Woodbury

No reason. Store hydrogen peroxide is only a few percent. The rest is water.

You might be able to get something at the recycle center for 5 cents. There are some nice fruit juice bottles out there, too, but the juice is expensive compared to H2O2.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Lascassas, TN

Bruce Barlow, in his Fine Focus workshop, recommends Coke bottles. I have used the 16 and 20 sizes now for paper developer for over a year and they work fine.

Check pass posts by Burce for information.
    Bill Kumpf

$.69 with the H202 inside!? That would be very cheap. What kind of plastic is it and is the wall very thin? I don't like plastic but that's just an unfounded fear. I kind of thought that if the wall is very thin some developers will oxidize more quickly. I'm also not sure about dissolution of the plastisizer solvent into the darkroom chemistry - especially in the case of PVC and vinyl chloride. OTOH I have used Nalgene polyethylene wide mouth bottles with nasty Ilfochrome chemistry with apparently no ill effect. Maybe I'm just too paranoid.

What do others think?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Well to each his own, I prefer 1 liter flavored carbonated drinking water bottles (2/$1 at wally world), not only do I consume the contents, but I also get 1L bottles for free...

If you are going to store developer, I have read it is best to use PET (polyethylene terephthalate). It evidently has low permeability to oxygen. You should be able to identify it by a "1" in the triangle on the bottom. I have seen PET mineral/vitamin water bottles with a largish cap that I have started saving for my darkroom.

PET or HDPE are said to work well with most other darkroom chemicals. HDPE has a "2" in the triangle.

Best,

C

Jim Ewins

If you just want storage use a plastic water or soda pop bottle. If shelf life is important use a brown glass bottle filled to the top.

I have used PET water bottles for developer without problems and there is a plus: you can squeeze them out of air!
    BTW: I stored the bottles inside a container to keep them out of the light.
    Héctor Navarro Agraz

I notice that one of my Ilford paper developer plastic bottles is HDPE and a number 2 in the triangle, as are the plastic bottles I got from Photographers Formulary which contained parts A and B of Pyrocat HD. So these bottles should be safe to store say, ID-11 (question)