Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive Tripod Head for 4x5?

Re: Inexpensive Tripod Head for 4x5?

I've been thinking, because of movements, why do I need anything more than a leveling head? Maybe I'm just so tired my thinking is impeded.

I second the 3047.

the manfrotto/bogen 410 is nice, but my 4x5 sinar is to heavy for it.
    so i just upgrade to the manfrotto/bogen 229 which is absolutly rockstable!

For backpacking I have been using a Novaflex panoramic plate (it has a bubble level) on Gitzo legs. (I have a Toho camera). This works perfectly for most shots - its small, cheap, very light weight, and perfectly steady.

However I have not solved the tilt problem. Using the tripod legs is not the answer to me - the panning plate will no longer be level. For years I have been searching for a tilt-only head that I can fit between the panning plate and the camera for when I need to tilt. I have thought of cutting down a video pan/tilt head but have not found one that is appropriate.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a tilt-only head, that is light and strong, that I can keep in my backpack and only use when necessary? If a suitable tilt only head can be found then I think this is a good system for any 4x5 landscape photography.
    Be a slave to technology, or shoot film.
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com
    www.photorepair.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    the manfrotto/bogen 410 is nice, but my 4x5 sinar is to heavy for it.
    so i just upgrade to the manfrotto/bogen 229 which is absolutly rockstable!
    I must agree. They are confidence inspiring but not at all light.

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lewis View Post
    Has anyone got any suggestions for a tilt-only head, that is light and strong, that I can keep in my backpack and only use when necessary? If a suitable tilt only head can be found then I think this is a good system for any 4x5 landscape photography.
    What about something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_Monopod.html

Or, the super deluxe version:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/tripods/04.html

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

The 229 is an upgrade to the 3047, so they have similar characteristics. I had the latter, and when I could no longer tighten it, I upgraded. The 229 is the best head I've owned. The 3047 is good, but it can't handle as heavy a camera.

If you buy used, check out a 3047 before you purchase, or consider a return policy. Make sure that it'll stay tight with the camera on the head.

Kerry,

I was aware of the Bogen 234, but that looks too small and light for LF and has very little longitudinal support the way a camera needs it.

However the Really Right Stuff mono head looks perfect for my needs - and I've been looking for years - this is the beauty of forums! It looks strong and steady and only weighs 250g. I will look closely at this product.

My tripod head will consist of too parts, any panning plate with a bubble level for 90% of my needs, and a mono tilt head - possibly the RRS - that will be kept in the backpack for when I need it.
    Be a slave to technology, or shoot film.
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com
    www.photorepair.com.au

www.reallybigcameras.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Lewis View Post
    Kerry,

I was aware of the Bogen 234, but that looks too small and light for LF and has very little longitudinal support the way a camera needs it.

However the Really Right Stuff mono head looks perfect for my needs - and I've been looking for years - this is the beauty of forums! It looks strong and steady and only weighs 250g. I will look closely at this product.

My tripod head will consist of too parts, any panning plate with a bubble level for 90% of my needs, and a mono tilt head - possibly the RRS - that will be kept in the backpack for when I need it.
    I haven't tried the Bogen/Manfrotto 234, but the Toho is so darn light I'm tempted to give it a try. I know 35mm/digital shooters who use the 234 with some fairly heavy glass.

The base of the the RRS MH-01 is design to be compatible with a QR clamp. So, if you have a QR clamp on your panning base, you can quickly and easily mount/dismount the MH-01 as needed.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Downstairs

I never bother to use anything other than a pan plate on top of a leveling video tripod.