Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on partially diassembling a Durst 1840 8x10 enlarger for local transport

Re: Need advice on partially diassembling a Durst 1840 8x10 enlarger for local transp

Mark,

Do you need an extra hand and truck?

Wilbur

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

Re: Need advice on partially diassembling a Durst 1840 8x10 enlarger for local transp

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Wong View Post
    Mark,

Do you need an extra hand and truck?

Wilbur
    YES and yes, Wilbur! I 'll send you an email with the details.

Also, thanks for the additional info ic-racer. That's a big help. If I can locate the set-screw or whatever holds the knob in place, I'll remove that too. I've got a set of ziplocks to collect all of the hardware, so thanks for the reminder on that.

Thanks, too, Dave, for the encouragement. Just getting this thing home is going to be interesting.

~Mark

One more comment, Mark. The vertical section of the enlarger is a "skin" of fairly thin sheet aluminum surrounding a steel round column. This skin is pretty strong, and will support the enlarger when placed flat on a dolly or cart. But be careful, as the skin will dent or deform if subjected to point loads.

I thought it best to leave the skin on during the move, to keep the inside bearings from picking up any dirt. When making a tight turn at the door to my darkroom, I didn't have clearance enough with the enlarger flat (I couldn't stand it up as it was too tall for the door frame), so I had to remove the skin for the extra clearance. It's easy to remove, with only a handfull of screws.

Once you set the enlarger up in your darkroom, you'll probably want to remove the skin to lube the bearings and repair any damage to the bellows material that covers the column.

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

Talking GOT advice on partially diassembling a Durst 1840 8x10 enlarger for local transport

The Behemoth has...well...landed!

Picked up the enlarger today with the invaluable assistance of Wilbur Wong...helped me take it down, move it and haul it to my house. Thanks, dude!

Many thanks, too, to Filmnut, ic-racer and resummerfield for your advice and experience. It all went off without a hitch, and I avoided doing any harm (as far as I know ) to the enlarger thanks to your insights!

~Mark

Glad to hear it made the trip in safety.