Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: szabad 5x7 camera

Re: szabad 5x7 camera

In 1954, or thereabouts, I bought a Szabad 5x7 (mm equivalent) camera from the Hasselblad store in Stockholm, together with two Schneider lenses (the front and back elements of which could be separated and used independently). I also bought a dozen film holders, a roll-film back, and a big Linhof tripod. The Danish writer R. Broby Johansen was doing a book on medieval Scandinavian church art and wanted some large, detailed illustrations in color. I was quite impressed with the Szabad, its sturdy blackened wood (oak? ash?) construction with well-designed stainless steel fittings and I took many fine Kodachrome plates with it, working up to each with 35mm Leica 3f studies.

Later, in the U.S. I lent the Szabad to an old friend and a great photographer, William Current. I was occupied at a graduate school, had no time for much else, and Bill could make good use of my equipment (although his favorite camera was the Roloflex). Some of his outstanding photographs can be seen e.g. in his book about the great California architects the Green brothers in the early 1900's in Pasadena, and his book about the Anastazi cliff dwellings of Arizona.

I never got my beloved Szabad back. Bill sold it with the lenses etc. one time when he was hard up for money, but kept the Linhof. I was upset, of course, but Bill claimed I had given him the Szabad, not merely lent it to him. So be it. He was dear friend and so I let the matter be.

Now I am glad to know that out there, somewhere, someone is using the Szabad and enjoying the results.

Wow

6 years and one day since the last post ...

After a full dis-assembly and cleaning + making new leather bellows for my 4x5 / 9x12 Szabad I've decided to sell it

I'll be posting in the for sale section in the next day along with photos

Regards - Lee

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    jimi! thanks so much for the information about my camera!

i figured out what the deal was with the film holders ... i came to the realization that the camera's former owner put the ground glass on upside-down, so things were a little messed-up .. since i reversed the ground glass, the film holders seat PERFECTLY!

- john
    Yeah, but now I'll bet that the ground glass images are upside down. Damn -- it's always something!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Yeah, but now I'll bet that the ground glass images are upside down. Damn -- it's always something!
    actually the image was rightside up, and NOW it is upside down.
    i hate how that happened... totally right bill, always something !

You might be better off selling this at the Photographic auction house in Stockholm - or through a dedicated Swedish website. They are not really special enough to command international interest - but have some novelty appeal to the Swedish public. There are about 2 - 3 to sale each year. There are quite a few versions, as might be expected from a small operation and learning from purchasers' feedback.