Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Developing 8x10 B&W in a bathroom, equipment?

Re: Developing 8x10 B&W in a bathroom, equipment?

Thanks guys, I think I'll need to track down a JOBO to keep the footprint small. My budget is < $1000 which I think can fetch me a used CPP2 and a new 8x10 tank (since I can't find any used).

If I use a JOBO, how much ventilation do I need and where? Obviously the room I load the film in will be exposed to chemical smell but does the processor itself produce scents? I ask because the bathroom isn't terribly well ventilated but I imagine I can load the film in there with minimal exposure to the chemicals, but if the processor produces a lot of odor I'll probably put that in a different room.

But man that unicolor option sounds worth a try if its so inexpensive...
    Where you should be hosting your photos: www.SmugMug.com

You're mostly concerned with stop-bath and fixer fumes. Most bathroom vent fans don't have the capacity to move enough air. I upgraded mine to a 150cfm unit, and added filtered, light-tight vents in the door.

You could make your own BTZS tubes, also. I believe they were once made in 8x10, so it may be possible to find them used. Search the web for "make BTZS tubes", and you'll see some options.

I'd recommend a Unicolor: cheap...efficient...nothing to break or wear out that you could make yourself---what kind of customer support does Jobo have these days?

FWIW I use trays for ortho, Unicolor for panchro, and ?? for color---like who can afford 8x10 color?? Not I !
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sizam View Post
    Thanks guys, I think I'll need to track down a JOBO to keep the footprint small. My budget is < $1000 which I think can fetch me a used CPP2 and a new 8x10 tank (since I can't find any used).

If I use a JOBO, how much ventilation do I need and where? Obviously the room I load the film in will be exposed to chemical smell but does the processor itself produce scents? I ask because the bathroom isn't terribly well ventilated but I imagine I can load the film in there with minimal exposure to the chemicals, but if the processor produces a lot of odor I'll probably put that in a different room.

But man that unicolor option sounds worth a try if its so inexpensive...
    Sizam,

You don't need a CPP2, the CPA2 will work just fine. If your work space is not air conditioned, just keep one of the bottles in the jobo filled with ice to maintain constant temp while processing B&W. Use plain 'ol water instead of a chemical stop bath for B&W.

As far as chemical scents from the Jobo, I haven't noticed any. I process C-41, E-6, and in a few days RA-4 in a CPA-2 on a kitchen sink countertop (it's level). B&W I process in the bathroom by hand inversion in Jobo 1500 and 2500 tanks with the ventilation fan going and the door open to listen to the stereo. I load 35mm, roll and B&W 4x5 film in a Harrison 8x10 tent. Since I find it easy to load the Jobo Expert Drum from the top rather than from the side as would be the case using the Harrison tent, I load the 3010 Expert Drum in the bathroom - which in my case is easy to lightproof.

Over the next couple of days I will be "remodeling" my darkroom - moving the enlarger out of the bathroom to a convenient corner of the bedroom which is directly across from the bathroom - keeping it strictly for the wet process. So I will be able to expose in the bedroom and with B&W walk a couple of feet across the hall into the bathroom to develope, wash, and dry the print. For color paper I'll have a Jobo print drum next to the enlarger which I'll load and bring to the processor in the kitchen. Since I can lightproof the hall, bedroom and bathroom, this setup will give me more "walk-around" room to work with and help protect the enlarger from moisture.

Thomas

BTZS tubes from the Viewcamerastore http://www.viewcamerastore.com/produ...roducts_id=790

Super easy to use and super even development, superior to any Jobo that doesn`t use expert drums IMO.
    Amund