Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from AZ and some questions

Greetings from AZ and some questions

Greetings all. This is an amazing and wonderful forum, incredible pictures, talented people, and everyone obviously passionate about their photography. I've been lurking here for a few weeks and events today have made it meaningful now to pop out and say "hi" and ask a few questions.

Basic version of a complicated story: At work today they call me and tell me "Come up to the shop!" They have been getting rid of old equipment in the warehouse and give me a 4x5 Linhof with extra lenses, etc. that has been in storage for about 20 years. I'm known as "the camera guy" at work and everyone knows film cameras are useless so they figured I'd want it. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper. I also grabbed a working 20"x30" light box ("an old x-ray viewer of some sort" is what the maintenance guy told me) that was literally on it's way to the dumpster!

I'm not sure how or if I'm going to proceed but the Linhof is safe and secure at home now. I know so little about large format that I'm not sure I have a real useful system here at this point in photo equipment evolution or if I can even afford the film, processing, and scanning for large format stuff but I do love the quality of large format black and white images.

So here's my question: Below is a list of what I found in the case. I'm guessing this is all really good stuff (or was at one time) but it's not exactly a light weight field camera either which is what I'd prefer if I was going to take a go at LF photography. It would be great fun to give it a go again (Long story short: I took a LF class with this very camera in the '80s) and I'm partial to outdoor photography rather than indoor stuff. I'm also anguishing a bit over whether or not I have the patience for the 4x5 system. I'm afraid years of shooting digital may have spoiled me that way.

What do you fellows think? Did I make out like crazy with this set up or did I get a bunch of now oddball stuff? Should I jump into LF or sell it off to someone who can truly put it to it's best use? I don't want to be a swine who just had a pearl cast before it!

Thanks for your input.

Doug
    ----

Inventory

Linhof Kardan Supercolor 4x5 - unit shows almost no wear except slight amount on the rail, bellows pleats are still soft and move, show no real wear.

Lens 1: Rodenstock Sironar - N 150mm (on stock LH lens board) near new condition

Lens 2: Schneider - Kreuznach 90mm (on shop made aluminum lens board) some wear

Lens 3: Rodenstock Sironar - N 210mm (on shop made aluminum lens board) lens as new, never used

Polaroid 545 Land Film Holder

(4) Fidelity Elite 4x5 film holders as new in original boxes

(1) Hoya 49.0s FL-DAY filter
    (1) Hoya 49.0s PL filter

(1) cable release

(1) large film changing bag

Set up is in it's own aluminum shipping box, has been stored in an air conditioned warehouse for about 20 years.

Dave Karp

Re: Greetings from AZ and some questions

You have the stuff, so why not try it out? If you like it, you have the lenses and holders, and you can sell the camera and use the money toward a field camera. Or just keep it, and buy a field camera. Personally, I like having both a monorail and a field camera.

If you don't like it, then you can sell all of it.

For a refresher, check out the articles on the home page, www.lfphoto.info.

And you got all this stuff for free? Wow, it would seem you have hit the jackpot.

As to your worries about lack of patience, might I encourage you to persevere? Maybe find someone else local to you who can hold your hand for the first few shots because, when you see the difference in quality between the digital images you have been taking and what you can achieve in LF, I doubt you will think that the effort is not worthwhile.

Get some film in those holders, take some shots, and enjoy yourself

Octogenarian

Since you live in Casa Grande, take a ride to Phoenix and show the camera outfit to Rod Klukas, at Photomark on McDowell Rd.

He's very knowledgeable on the subject of large format photography and can give you a fair evaluation of the condition and value of the Linhof outfit.

Rod teaches large format and can either aim you in the direction of learning how to use it, or help you sell it for a fair price.

Learning to use a 4X5 monorail camera is a unique adventure. If you find that it's not for you, sell the outfit to someone who can put it to good use.

Richard M. Coda

I second the nod to Rod. I take his class (repeatedly)... it's worth it.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Welcome! That's a cool kit you've come across!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thumbs up Re: Greetings from AZ and some questions

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement, folks.

I looked up the Photomark web page and I think I'll drive up there this Saturday or next and see what I can find out about a LF class. I had not realized the Photomark had gotten to be a big shop. Last time I was in there was about 1987 or so. My favorite camera store for many years shriveled up and died a few years ago and I have not been in a "real" camera store since then. Very said to see my old friend's shop go under but as with any type of modern business camera stores needed to adapt to changing times or face extinction.

I'm inclined to take a LF class just to see how it goes and if I can get a handle on the using the camera properly. Somehow I feel like I owe it to myself to give it a go. Years ago I took three semesters of B&W photography at the community college and I always dreamed that when I finally retired I'd get a LF camera and shoot black & white and do my own developing and printing. I never quite tossed that dream out the window but digital cameras made it seem an impractical dream and expensive one also. Beyond that, I didn't even have a LF camera so I just let the idea gather dust in the back of my mind.

Well, lo these many years later I'm slated to retire at the end of February 2009 and it seems a bit of fate or whatever that the company should be ditching old shop equipment and that the Linhof would get dropped in my lap. Yes, Joanna, I got it all for free. Amazes me a bit too! Typically all we ever get for free from the company in cheap, logo'd pens and such. To a multi-national corporation an old camera outfit that no one can use is worth at best, 10 cents on the dollar to an equipment liquidator. Since there was only one camera there it was simpler to give it to me than bother with determining value and trying to find a buyer. One of my colleagues got a complete, functioning TIG welder yesterday for free too!

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome. I'll slip back into lurk mode unless I have a question. If I actually begin to make some progress I'll post a photo. For now, here's a PnS photo of my "treasure chest" when I got it home yesterday:

Doug

Score! That is all first class stuff both then and now. No upgrades needed. Perhaps a Minolta Spot Meter F.

Octogenarian

Be sure to say hello to Rod for me. We go way back. It's been many years since I visited Phoenix. Tell him that Eugene is still alive and kicking.

My son and his family live in Tucson, and I usually don't have time to drive up to Phoenix during my short visits with them.

Another suggestion, If you haven't been to the Center for Creative Photography, on the U of A campus, in Tucson, it's a worthwhile trip. Lots of examples of LF photography there.

Thumbs up Re: Greetings from AZ and some questions

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Be sure to say hello to Rod for me. We go way back. It's been many years since I visited Phoenix. Tell him that Eugene is still alive and kicking.

My son and his family live in Tucson, and I usually don't have time to drive up to Phoenix during my short visits with them.

Another suggestion, If you haven't been to the Center for Creative Photography, on the U of A campus, in Tucson, it's a worthwhile trip. Lots of examples of LF photography there.

Will do, Eugene. I'm inclined to head up there to Photomark tomorrow. I may take the camera stuff up there and ask about having the lens and such checked out to make sure they are still working their best after the long sleep in the warehouse. I'll be sure to give Rod K. your regards if I meet him. I'd love to take his class at the college but it's a good hour's drive from where I live and at exactly the "wrong" time of the day. Still, as I figure out what retirement means for me maybe I can make the drive even if it's a bit nuts. Heck, maybe I could have a second career, this time as a world famous LF photographer?

Jim, I've still got two Minolta AutoMeter IIIF's from my 35mm kit. I was even smart years ago enough to put away my 35mm stuff without batteries in so nothing is ruined by battery leakage the way things forgotten often are. If I take the LF plunge maybe I can sell it all one and buy one spot meter.

Thanks again for the tips, guys. Lots of reading to do. The good part is that my wife is encouraging me to proceed.

Doug