Thread: Ansel Adams at Longview, TX Mseum of Fine Art

Cool Ansel Adams at Longview, TX Mseum of Fine Art

Through December 20, 2008.

http://www.lmfa.org/archEvents/AnselAdams08.htm

The Longview Museum of Fine Arts is located at 215 E. Tyler Street . Downtown . Longview, Texas

HOURS:
    10:00 - 4:00 Tuesday -Friday
    Noon - 4:00 Saturday

Closed Sunday and Monday

MAILING ADDRESS:
    P.O. Box 3484
    Longview, Texas 75606

PHONE . FAX:
    T: 903-753-8103
    F: 903-753-8217
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Re: Ansel Adams at Longview, TX Mseum of Fine Art

I saw the exhibit last Saturday. I don't have words to describe how I felt viewing the 50-60 photographs. Don't know how many for sure, but a lot. From 1923 to the late 1950s. I reconized several from the Adams books I own. Moonrise wasn't there. That was my only quibble.

Awesome doesn't begin to do justice to the photos. Humbling comes to mind. Exhilerating to be sure.

Go see them!
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

I went there this past Saturday and was in awe at the quality of his work. However, I was dissappointed that there were many others (my favorites) that where not there.

All were abt 5x7 with the exception of "Monlith, Face of Half Dome." It was about 13x19?

yes, the 5x7's were great, but you do not see the detail.

Also, they had some kids Christmas event going on in the same area as Ansel's photos was like trying to look at greatness in the midst of a DayCare. Very Noisy.

I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.

Sorry about the distractions. The place does seem more like a multi-purose center than just a museum. On the other hand, expose the kidlets early to the finer things in life.

In addition to the enlarged version of "Monolith", there was also a contact print. Different as night and day.

I thorougly enjoyed seeing the early photos. Pre-Monolith and post-Monolith together was very interesting.

I'm giving serious thought to returning this weekend.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

We had an Adams exhibit at the Phoenix Art Museum about 2 months ago. I have been to many of his exhibitions that have come around but the best place to view his work up close and on a more personal level is the Center For Creative Photography on the campus of the University of Arizona. Should any of you ever be in Tucson I would strongly recommend that you take a day and schedule an appointment for the "Print Viewing Room". Unless their policy has changed you can select portfolios of his original work as well as those of others to view. They will go and retrieve the portfolios and, with white gloves on, will put them behind plexi-glass cases. Prints that are oversized are placed unprotected on rails for your viewing pleasure and study. It has been a few years since I have taken the opportunity to do that but it is a real treat.
    The printed media can never do his prints justice and it is interesting to see his various work.

Much of what is known in the public eye is just what they have seen in books and calendars. His work embodies much more. IIRC, Ansel Adams produced over 40,000 negatives of which only 1200 or so were ever printed. Certainly, not all of his work conform to the standard we would expect from the man but even at 1200 it is a respectable number IMO.

I was with Wayne (Venchka) at the Longview show this past weekend and as awe inspiring as it was, I also felt it was very motivating. I actually enjoyed the fact that the prints were all in the 5x7 to 6x9 inch size... it means that I don't have to think that if I can't print it at least 16x20 that it isn't worth printing. I also learned a few other things: don't be afraid of paper white, and don't worry if your image is not the product of the most razor sharp lens. All in all, I came away both pleased and inspired.

They got a museum in Longview?

:-)

A minimum of two. The history museum was around the corner from the art museum. A scupture garden on the corner. Everything's up to date in Longview.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog