Page 310 of 1724 FirstFirst ... 2102603003083093103113123203604108101310 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,100 of 17231

Thread: safe haven for tiny formats

Re: safe haven for tiny formats

Interesting juxtaposition with the old fella and the pot shop! He don't look too happy.

St. Merrique on my sexy couch. I sweated like a dog standing a few inches underneath a hotlight while doing this. Only a few couch shots and I was done fer.

Canon EOS D60, Canon EF 17-40mm ƒ4L lens, ASA 400.

At the Chinese gardens, downtown Portland.

Mamiya 7, Delta 100, 80mm

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Jonathan

Two shots from the shore of Lake Erie, near Huntington Reservation, west of Cleveland, OH.

iphone 4

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Jay,

I'm with you on the "non-Holga" crappy cameras. I have a whole stable of various box cameras and faux-TLRs. This was taken in Oregon City with a "Kinoflex Deluxe" 120. No focus, three aperture controls and one shutter speed. The focus is usually all over the place because the camera does not do a good job holding the film flat.

Shot on 30 year-old Plus-X.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Jonathan

Jonathan,

I find these old, cheap cameras score very high in the charm category. There has to be a reason for the millions of Holgas sold! Every one of these old cameras seems to have a "personality", for lack of a better word to describe their idiosyncratic set of faults, limitations and virtues. I can't easily resist temptation when I run across one in a shop, and so I've inadvertently collected quite a few. Most recently I picked up a 6x9 on 120 folder, definitely German, with a Zeiss lens in a Compur shutter, and Ernet embossed in the leather covering. Oddly, it has two red windows in the back, both on the same line. I assume there's a way to use them for shooting different formats, but I haven't figured out how. In my rush to try out the old girl, I didn't blow out the interior of the camera, and there was a LOT of crap in there that ended up on the film. Also, shooting handheld was probably not the best idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WEBM03221206.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	71356

Still, there's a certain charm.

Jay,

I couldn't agree more. I have stopped buying these now since I have, oh, upwards of fifteen different cameras, mostly TLRs, in 120 and 620. Whether it is the different optics, construction, design, film flatness (or not), I agree that each of these cameras has its own characteristics. Sometimes I will find one that is not crappy enough and I shelve it.

The camera I used for the above image was rebranded many times, like the Diana and her clones. I have a Kinoflex, Kinoflex Deluxe, Votarflex and a Wales Reflex, all of which are identical except for the badge on the front. Even still, they differ in the way they each render images. Go figure.

I find it interesting that the qualities that many of us like about Holgas and their ilk is the same thing people like about using Petzvals well past their intended formats: light fall off, peripheral aberrations and vignetting. It isn't lost on me when using a 10" projection Petzval on my 8x10 that I am essentially turning a huge, expensive camera capable of multiple movements and refined image control into a giant Holga.

Jonathan

Mamiya 6
    50mm f/4
    Kodak Ektar 100

Taken in Kobe, Japan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333513771.247974.jpg  

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Pentax 6x7, 90mm LS lens, Kodak E100S.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SteamTrain4449001.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	71358
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar, Delta 100

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Jonathan