Page 529 of 1724 FirstFirst ... 2942947951952752852953053153957962910291529 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,290 of 17232

Thread: safe haven for tiny formats

Re: safe haven for tiny formats

Great shots toaster.

Abandoned Schoolhouse, Goodnoe Hills, Washington

If you're interested, there is a large format mate to this in the 'Old Things...' thread.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger/

Couple from my August trip to the girlfriends cabin in Washington.

I made a small handmade book with ten platinum/palladium prints, all iPhone Hipstamatic images, digital negatives made with QTR, printed on Weston Diploma...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...82851078501041

Austin: I like this interior shot more than the related exterior shot in the LF image forum. The exterior shot seemed to me a little too much of a cliche, another old building falling into decay. But this one has much more character (at least to me).

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    I really like this, Austin. The only parallel lines seem to be in the wainscoting--everything else is out of plumb!

What amazes me about your photos, and I'm not sure where in your workflow the magic happens (exposure, development, printing/scanning, all of the above), is the degree of detailed tonal separation and micro-contrast you achieve in the low values. The whole right side of this photo seems to exist in the Zone II-IV range, if that, yet the values and details are distinct and clear. My best efforts at achieving this lead either to mud or to gross overexposure. I guess I can keep side-stepping the issue entirely by continuing to use 50 year old expired films, since with film that old and fogged there's never any hope of nuanced shadow detail from the get-go.

Jonathan

Breakfast, Reading

Gelatin-silver photograph on Fomabrom Variant 111 FB VC photographic paper, image area 16.3cm X 16.3cm, from a 6x6 format Tmax 100 negative exposed in a Seagull 4A103A twin lens reflex camera equipped with a 75mm f3.5 Haiou lens.
    Titled and signed recto, stamped verso.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Austin: I like this interior shot more than the related exterior shot in the LF image forum. The exterior shot seemed to me a little too much of a cliche, another old building falling into decay. But this one has much more character (at least to me).
    Thanks Pete. I admit that no one will ever accuse me of passing up a cliche! In my defense, I do tend more and more to think of how individual pictures relate to other pictures, and find myself making little essays, so you see, I HAD to photograph the outside of the school. Actually, my favorite things in that photograph are the four poles in the front and the trees in the back. Anyway though, thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    I really like this, Austin. The only parallel lines seem to be in the wainscoting--everything else is out of plumb!

What amazes me about your photos, and I'm not sure where in your workflow the magic happens (exposure, development, printing/scanning, all of the above), is the degree of detailed tonal separation and micro-contrast you achieve in the low values. The whole right side of this photo seems to exist in the Zone II-IV range, if that, yet the values and details are distinct and clear. My best efforts at achieving this lead either to mud or to gross overexposure. I guess I can keep side-stepping the issue entirely by continuing to use 50 year old expired films, since with film that old and fogged there's never any hope of nuanced shadow detail from the get-go.
    Yeah, it was hard to figure out how to level this shot. Do I go off the camera? The doorframe? The wainscoting?

As for my 'magic,' boy, if you only knew how little I know what I'm doing, you would be amazed. Or appalled. I will say that I tend to overexposed stuff a bit and then bring it back down in the computer. Also, I think that using a long scale film like Tri-X (especially when doing 'normal' development) helps me in this situation.

I wish I had photographed this with the big camera, but I was a little wary of being in there too long. There were birds swooping over my head and the floor felt a bit squishy.

I'm really liking your expired film stuff. It does have a very unique character, and knowing that the film has been 'waiting' all this time effects how I see the pictures; it adds another level to it. When you said that the film and the elements collaborate with you (I don't have your exact words in front of me but you'll know what I mean), was something I could relate to. See, I should have used 50 year old film for my schoolhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    I admit that no one will ever accuse me of passing up a cliche!
    But Austin...

Cliches depend on repetition for their livelihood. Without it they would die.

Consider it your civic duty to help perpetuate the species. Well done!

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.