Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combi-Plan Film Clip Repair

Combi-Plan Film Clip Repair

Hi all. I've managed to crach the horizonatal bars on the Combi-Plan Film Clip a few times. I have purchased replacements so I am OK for now, but expect that I will need to replace them again in the future as the design appears weak.

Has anyone found a way to repair the clips ?

Other than the clips, I am quite happy with the tanks.

Len Eselson

Octogenarian

Re: Combi-Plan Film Clip Repair

Krazy Glue works like a charm on that type of plastic. I also needed to do a few repairs on my Combi-Plan film clips. So far, they are holding up just fine.

Krazy glue never held up for me in the tank, same with epoxy. What works is using the broken clip. Mine's been broken on one side for 3 years and works fine. Strange but true.

Those clips have sides that release a ratchet so the clip stays firmly on the film keeping it in place. The reason the clips break is because the long sides of the clip are not depressed to release the ratchet. If the sides are not depressed the clip will break - always. If the sides are gently depressed the clips do not break.

Practice your technique while removing the clip from the top of the film holder and you will quickly see how much pressure is needed (not much).

Octogenarian

It's true that the horizontal bars on the film clips are thin and weak. They weren't designed to be squeezed. However, if they are accidentally squeezed (in the dark), they will usually break. I broke two film clips while learning that lesson.

Perhaps it was luck. I allowed the Krazy Glue to dry overnight, and both of my repairs have held up for more than five years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    It's true that the horizontal bars on the film clips are thin and weak. They weren't designed to be squeezed.
    They certainly are. Following is the last paragraph of the instruction book. This paragraph is illustrated with pictures showing exactly where to apply pressure. There is also a referral in the beginning of the instructions to this page.

"E. Proper use and care of Film Retaining Clip 459466. Four small ratchets on the clip engage four rack type bars on the outer edges of the handle on the upper spacer bar to securely lock the film retaining clip onto the handle. To disengage and remove the clip from the handle gently press together the 2 bars of the clip (illus. 11) using the thumb and index fingers and lift off. (illus. 13 frontal view) the inherent spring action of the plastic material used fully meets these requirements. do not abuse the clip. never squeeze or pull apart the clip by force. (illus. 12) avoid excessive wear by never allowing the ratchets of the clip to ride against the racks of the handle. always slip-on or remove the clip with the ratchets released, ie. with a gentle but firm pressure on the 2 bars of the clip"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Those clips have sides that release a ratchet so the clip stays firmly on the film keeping it in place. The reason the clips break is because the long sides of the clip are not depressed to release the ratchet. If the sides are not depressed the clip will break - always. If the sides are gently depressed the clips do not break.

Practice your technique while removing the clip from the top of the film holder and you will quickly see how much pressure is needed (not much).

Bob's right, the clips will break if not depressed with minimal necessary pressure. In practical terms this means that the clips will break. The Combi is a great system, but like other systems, it can be improved.

Octogenarian

Bob,

The poster's original question asked if anyone had experience repairing a broken clip.

Your responses have concentrated on how to prevent breakage of the clip.

Of course we followed the instructions included with the Combi-Plan tank. However, accidents do happen when attempting to properly install the clip after loading film into the film rack in the dark.

It's easy to properly operate the clip when you can see what you are doing. It seems that the Combi-Plan designers did not take into consideration that the film clip needs to be installed and moved up or down on the film rack in complete darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Bob,

The poster's original question asked if anyone had experience repairing a broken clip.

Your responses have concentrated on how to prevent breakage of the clip.

Of course we followed the instructions included with the Combi-Plan tank. However, accidents do happen when attempting to properly install the clip after loading film into the film rack in the dark.

It's easy to properly operate the clip when you can see what you are doing. It seems that the Combi-Plan designers did not take into consideration that the film clip needs to be installed and moved up or down on the film rack in complete darkness.
    Gem,

The designer and inventor of the complete Combina system. Herr Krause - was a total photo enthusiast as well as a machinist and a highly qualified tool maker. The plastic chosen is designed to be pressed and released while placing it on and removing it from the film holder. It was explicitly chosen for that task - even though it was the only material that met the specifications when from BASF when the tank was designed over 40 years ago.

While some people do seem to break the clips quite regularly there are thousands of these tanks sold yearly - and multiply that by the decades that the tank has been sold! and we get very few requests for replacement clips. Probably less then 30 individual orders a year.

There is no way to properly repair the clip with glue, string or any other method. The tension is designed so that the chemistry flow during inversion will not displace it and that can only be guaranteed with a complete clip.

In addition the glue used may react with some chemistries.

Octogenarian

Injection moulded polystyrene?

What's so special about that material?