Thread: Which is better NIK Silver pro or B/W Styler

Unhappy Which is better NIK Silver pro or B/W Styler

Can anybody share their experiences about the Nik Silver Pro compared to B/W styler. Apart from the price difference, I am interested in functionality and ease of use.

Thanks

Mo

Re: Which is better NIK Silver pro or B/W Styler

I ran a trial of Silver Pro. I found that it really was of limited benefit in my work flow since I use a rip to control my BW printer.

Of the two I would say that the NIK program is the better.

It would probably do you more good to download the trials and see what you think of the two programs.

Quote Originally Posted by mo View Post
    Can anybody share their experiences about the Nik Silver Pro compared to B/W styler. Apart from the price difference, I am interested in functionality and ease of use.
    Thanks
    Mo
    I spent a lot of money on all sorts of plugins early on. In the end, I learned my photoshop and threw them all out. Look at books, other prints from History, get a sense of how you like to print - and learn how to use the curve dialog.

Remember, all these things don't do anything that Photoshop doesn't already do.

Just my 2cents.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I'm using Nik Silver to process my digital images, and I think it really makes a good job out of the task. The control points especially are a good way to do local adjustments without having to spend hours painting masks. I don't know B/W styler so can't compare, sorry.

I've been using Silver Efex for a few months and it is a very powerful plug-in with a lot of control and the ability to save a lot of your favorite presets.

However, the program runs on RGB files and if your are working with 16-bit RGB files the file sizes are well in excess of 500MB for a 4x5 negative. With files this size or larger Silver Efex freezes when using control points or after a few other steps in various orders. I have been in communication with NIK for two months now. Thay have replicated my issue, but still cannot solve the memory management problems. I have downloaded two different beta versions, both with the same issue.

Everytime it freezes, it requires a restart of CS3.

Good luck,
    Jim

Dakotah, I always use Nik as part of my workflow.
    First I use Dfine to remove any noise without affecting sharpness in the detail of the image. I also use Dfine on every scan I have made, color and B&W.

After Dfine, I go into Viveza 2 to make local and global adjustments on a seperate layer. I especially like their "structure" slider as compared to sharpness filters in CS5.

Once the image is where I want it, I open Silver Efex to remove color and adjust specific areas of the photo to fall within a specific zone.