Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Norma Question.

Question Sinar Norma Question.

As the Sinar Norma doesn`t have centre/axis tilt, only base tilt, would it be possible to fit the front end of a Sinar F, F1 or F2 depending on what`s available?

Re: Sinar Norma Question.

The F, F1 ... also have base tilt. But yes, it's possible to combine these two different systems. (I once bought a Sinar C ("Combined"), with a Sinar P backend and a Norma front.)

//Björn

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn Nilsson View Post
    The F, F1 ... also have base tilt. But yes, it's possible to combine these two different systems. (I once bought a Sinar C ("Combined"), with a Sinar P backend and a Norma front.)

//Björn
    If the F and F1 don`t have axis tilt, what about the F2?

Ehh, I tried to indicate (with the ...) that all the F series models are constructed the same. I.e. you have a base tilt, and an axis swing.
    The main difference between the F1 and F2 is that the F2 has separate locks for swing and horizontal shift. (The F and F1 has one lever to lock both these actions.) The earlier F front standart doesn't have any geared focusing knob. If you want to focus using the front, you have to slide it into position and then lock the standart with the lock underneath the rail. (The F front standart is also called "universal standart", intended for holding filters, compendiums etc. when used in studio with larger camera setups.)
    I recon the reason for Sinar keeping with the base tilt solution is that the back standarts for both the F and the P series have scales which help you find the angles for both tilts and swings. You then transfer these readings from the back to the front and refocus. Once you've learnt it, it's very quick to work with, especially with a P/P2 back, but the P series is heavier and bulkier.

//Björn

Why would you want to downgrade? Base tilts are better anyway and the Norma is the best there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Why would you want to downgrade? Base tilts are better anyway and the Norma is the best there is.
    Frank, because I would like the option of both axis as well as base tilt. The Norma is other wise a fine Camera. I have an 8x10 back for mine.

You could get a Horseman front standard and adapt it, or just get an entire Horseman (much easier) as it will take your lensboards and bellows, etc.

If I could get one for a reasonable price, would the front part of a P or P2 fit? I don`t want to buy into another system than Sinar.

P and P2 front standards are same rail, same 4x5 bellows fitting. Should fit fine. I'm not so sure you'll get enough added utility as to be worth the cost, but you sound like you really want this change.

As far as I know, the only combinations that don't necessarily fit are the newer bellows designed for the metered backs vs the old style + size bellows and backs. Oh, and don't touch any of the Sinar Alpinas, different rail.

C

Quote Originally Posted by CG View Post
    P and P2 front standards are same rail, same 4x5 bellows fitting. Should fit fine. I'm not so sure you'll get enough added utility as to be worth the cost, but you sound like you really want this change.

As far as I know, the only combinations that don't necessarily fit are the newer bellows designed for the metered backs vs the old style + size bellows and backs. Oh, and don't touch any of the Sinar Alpinas, different rail.

C
    I`m only interested in the front part. I will keep the rest as it is. It`s just something that I`m considering and whether it`s worth while or not.