Thread: Juried Exhibitions

Juried Exhibitions

There was a time when I did a lot of printing and submitted to juried exhibitions out-of-state (Alaska). After stopping for awhile, I'm thinking of starting again. I do color landscape. I've travelled to a number of places in the US and could potentially submit to shows open to out-of-state photographers, but requiring photographs of local subjects.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here are two exhibits that I would recommend.

1. alaskaWILD which is sponsored by the Alaska Society of Outdoor and Nature Photographers. Requires subjects of natural Alaska, eg. landscape outside of cities, people in the land and wildlife. No residency requirement in previous years. Initial (digital) submission deadline is February 20, 2009. www.asonp.org/akwild/index.htm

2. Westmoreland Arts and Heritage Festival, which is associated with the Westmoreland County Community College. All subjects are accepted. Deadline is March 28, 2009. www.artsandheritage.com/art-nationals.htm

Happy Holidays to you all!

Re: Juried Exhibitions

Bruce,

There are international juried competitions as well, ones that do not require a focus on a particular location.

Mel-

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

What's in it for you if you enter? Cash prizes? Notoriety?

Mel - I've avoided the international competitions because of the shipping costs. I once had an image selected for the Banff Mountain Photo exhibit (don't recall the exact name). The shipping was minimal there because they made the print from the duplicate transparency. However, I don't like not being able to proof "my" print.

Jeffrey - The odds of me winning a prize are negligible. Color landscape is a pretty tough sell in general. There's no fame for being in these. It's a personal thing.