Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Stolen Lens - Here's the REAL moral dilemma

Re: Stolen Lens - Here's the REAL moral dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Curbelo View Post
    Henry, are the headaches any smaller if things are stolen or lost within the US?
    Yes, because I have only one entity to deal with and its all under U.S. law. When I send something by U.S. Mail or Fedex (Fedex is my preferred method) insured I can be sure it gets delivered and signed for within 1 - 2 days. This might cost $20-25.00 for something like a lens. Doing the same to Europe or Australia may cost three or four times that. And then there's always one more party to blame. Or customs gets involved and it sits in bond somewhere.

I have done a deal or two where I told the buyer as a condition of the sale that if it got lost, damaged or delayed it was their problem and not mine. But I don't like dealing that way so I've stopped. When I put something in a box that's valuable I want it delivered. Period. A few more dollars and a little extra care helps.

Here are pictures of Amy's listing for the benefit of the eBay seller.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Here is a picture from the eBay listing:
    Notice the two scratches.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ASRafferty View Post
    Interesting suggestion, Joe, particularly since the "wing" of Canada Post that's supposed to be helping Clarence and me track down what happened is on strike as we speak.
    Yes they are, accross the country, even here in my hometown. saw the picket lines the other day driving by.

Here are the two major national newspapers:

http://www.nationalpost.com/todays_paper/index.html
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/frontpage/

Of all the major newspapers, I think they are the ones who *might* give you the best chance of picking up on this story. If nothing else, even a letter to the editor might get you some coverage.

the way to make this story "relavent" is to point out we are in the start of the shipping season for Christmas, and how can anyone ship anything when a package clearly stolen form Canada Post shows up on ebay?

if I can be of any help
    joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

I think Joe is right; the newspapers would likely pick up on this. I am astounded that eBay has had several days to stop the auction and they haven't, even in light of the more than sufficient proof provided. They are certainly quick to act if you key word spam or if you claim a specious copyright infringement. I'd like to see a newspaper bring them to task on this. Amy, maybe you can phone one of the editors to see if there's interest in this story. It's not just the Postal theft; it's the fact neither eBay nor the seller seem to want to do anything about this. The auction will soon be over.
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Amy, I live in Toronto. If you like, I can contact the Toronto Star or Globe and Mail to see if they're at all interested in this story. If they are I would get a contact number from them for you to call. Let me know.
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Amy, I live in Toronto. If you like, I can contact the Toronto Star or Globe and Mail to see if they're at all interested in this story. If they are I would get a contact number from them for you to call. Let me know.
    just do it! give them this page to look at. they will do the rest.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Richard, I appreciate the value of "going public" with a story like this, but to tell you the truth, my concern right now is to do what I can to resolve this well for both Clarence and me, and move on as best I can. It's been an exhausting year that won't be over for several more months, and I'm sorry to say that the last thing I need right now are "side roads" that will take even more of my energy.

The facts are here, I'm going to keep working with Clarence on this, and if someone asks me a question I'll gladly answer it, but I'm afraid that's it for me at this point in my life... trust you understand.

Absolutely, Amy. No worries. Best of luck in all of this. But I hope you will let us know the juicy details once they're known!

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Rhymer View Post
    Here are pictures of Amy's listing for the benefit of the eBay seller.

Cheers,
    Clarence
    Clarence, any response from the seller? Did he bother looking? Did you send him the URL? Just tell him to paste the line below after the usual http://www. since the forum doesn't display the whole link but stores it internally...

largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=413489&postcount=72

It's still on auction.