Thread: Converting a Linhof Technika IV into an enlarger

Converting a Linhof Technika IV into an enlarger

Hi all, I've checked around these forums and on Google but I can only find vague references about the attachment that Linhof made to convert a Technika into an enlarger.

Can anyone shed some light (sorry...bad pun!) on this doodad and what it's calle d, what it looks like, and what it may cost me?

The best way to do this (if you must) is with a 4x5 "GRAFLARGER" which has an Aristo cold light tube as light source. It can be used on an ordinary tripod, as I did in University. But frankly, this is a really terrible, clumsy way to go. Used 4x5 enlargers such as Omega D-2 are so cheap, and so good, that it doesn't make any sense to use your expensive technika in this manner.

Linhof made 2 versions ,a cold light head and a condenser head.It would be best to fit one on a copy stand like the Linhof universal accessory stand .These stands i have seen around but the heads i think may take some digging.If you do find one don't use an old standard lens because the heat will melt the cement between the elements. I am a bit of a Linhof freak and if i found one of these things i would buy it but i would rather use just about anything else. Only do it for fun.

I saw one on ebay last week...

Andrew, I second Bill's advice...get yourself a purpose built enlarger, you can pick up mint condition kit left behind by those tempted away by digital!! I would be very surprised if anyone actually uses the Linhof conversion kit, it is probably a "collectable oddity" (no offence to Linhof collectors/users). You can read plenty of old threads on the trouble some people have in aligning purpose built enlargers, so I imagine it would be a tricky job getting the Linhof to align??? But having never used one I may be proved wrong!! Good luck Paul

Thanks for your replies everybody, I'm really only asking because of curiosity value, I realize a purpose-built enlarger is the only way to go. I guess I'll have to get this baby working and earn some $$$!

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

The Linhof enlarger item you are discussing is called a Reprocord. I had purchased one several years ago. I thought it would be an easy and interesting addition to my kit -- I had a heavy duty Linhof copy stand and a Linhof Color that I used with a Zeiss Luminar Lenses -- all except the Linhof Color have long since been sold. It was one of those things that seemed like a cool idea that as a practical matter I just didn't use. The previous commentors have provided sound advice consistent with my experience. The Reprocord is an interesting if quirky piece of equipment that will run you roughly $150-250 in the open market. One is currently for sale on Ebay -- Item # 1253924973 -- and another one was sold within the last few weeks I believe.