Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get better scans?

How do I get better scans?

Hi all,

I'm a total newbie to scanning, just got an HP Officejet, scanned some 8x10 contact prints, and they look good, but not as good as the stuff I see posted here and elsewhere. I did no processing at all, and am hoping I'll have to do very little, but am open to uggestions. Attached is one of my first scans. Let me know what you think.

GB

Re: How do I get better scans?

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a total newbie to scanning, just got an HP Officejet, scanned some 8x10 contact prints, and they look good, but not as good as the stuff I see posted here and elsewhere. I did no processing at all, and am hoping I'll have to do very little, but am open to uggestions. Attached is one of my first scans. Let me know what you think.

GB
    I am not familiar with the Officejet, but if it is an "All in one" then you need a better scanner for decent scans, and some post processing.

You may be able to get enough quality out of it for a web post, but it would still need some post scan processing.

Look for a refurb Epson 4990 or a new Epson V700.

It is important when asking a question to tell us what you are doing. Why are you scanning prints vs negatives, for instance. What is the nature of the project, what are you trying to accomplish, what is the meaning of the word "better" in your question.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

"How do I get better scans?" Practice. There's no substitute for scanning, and scanning, and scanning, and scanning.

Other than that, what Lenny said. If you can't define the problem, it's nearly impossible to solve it.

Bruce Watson

What tool are you using, to control the scanner ? VueScan ? The HP drivers which come with the scanner ?

Some tools are better than others, and allow you to better control the scan.

Forum members can better help you, if they have the same software.

OK, I scanned a contact print, I used the HP drivers, I'm scanning for web presentation, for sending a CD to a competition, and to have a CD I can send prospective buyers. The main thing missing from the scan is tonality, and it could be sharper too. Mainly tones. I scanned a print because I'd read it scans better, and you don't have to dodge and burn again. Is that false? Thanks.

And yes, it's an all in one. Is that just not good enough for my purposes?

OK, I scanned a contact print, I used the HP drivers, I'm scanning for web presentation, for sending a CD to a competition, and to have a CD I can send prospective buyers. The main thing missing from the scan is tonality, and it could be sharper too. Mainly tones. I scanned a print because I'd read it scans better, and you don't have to dodge and burn again. Is that false? Thanks.
    I think you can probably get what you want for a small web image. Tonality might be a little harder - and you might need a better scanner. Have you considered a digital camera - to take a pic of the print? They also do well.

Good lcuk,

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

And yes, it's an all in one. Is that just not good enough for my purposes?
    You might consider using some post processing. A scan of a print from an office scanner will generally not get you what you want for presentation. Programs such as PS or Paint Shop will help you with tonality and sharpness. Good luck.

You are going to the trouble of making large format contact prints, the Stradivarius of print quality. Without a modest investment in a real scanner and software, you are probably bound for disappointment if you want others to appreciate the quality of your work.