Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schneider G claron 150mm

Re: Schneider G claron 150mm

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    I second it as a fantastic general purpose lens plus being excellent for close focus. I have a 150, 240 and 305 plus two red dot artar graphic arts lenses that i've used on location and in the studio for thirty years (RD artars). The advantage of the G Claron over the RD is much greater coverage but about the same image quality.
    True, but if one finds the Kowa Graphics....IMO they are as good or better than the
    G-clarons and have greater coverage. The downside on the Kowa Graphic lens is that the 240mm and 305mm are a direct fit in a larger copal 3 while the 150mm & 210mm Kowa Graphic cells are direct fit into a copal 0 and 1 respectively. The G-clarons fit into a copal 1 or 0. I personally don't mind the larger copal shutters for I use them on my V8 or my ULF 11x14.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wilson View Post
    True, but if one finds the Kowa Graphics....IMO they are as good or better than the
    G-clarons and have greater coverage. The downside on the Kowa Graphic lens is that the 240mm and 305mm are a direct fit in a larger copal 3 while the 150mm & 210mm Kowa Graphic cells are direct fit into a copal 0 and 1 respectively. The G-clarons fit into a copal 1 or 0. I personally don't mind the larger copal shutters for I use them on my V8 or my ULF 11x14.
    Jon
    Jon,

I just checked my Graphic Kowa 150 and it's in a Copal 1 shutter just like the Graphic Kowa 210. Jim

I understand the Kowas are fine lenses but I've never seen one in person. The only place I've seen them is on the auction site.

Large shutters aren't usually a big problem for me but it is nice to have a set of very compact lenses like the G Clarons.

My understanding from different readings is that G-Claron is not G-Claron. Under the same name there were different constructions with different characteristics. As far as I understood the older ones are Dagors and the newer ones modified Plasmats.
    What I do not know, how can one identify, what he is buying? Also, how the different versions differ in characteristics.

Since the question is 15+ years old.....

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Eugen Mezei View Post
    My understanding from different readings is that G-Claron is not G-Claron. Under the same name there were different constructions with different characteristics. As far as I understood the older ones are Dagors and the newer ones modified Plasmats.
    What I do not know, how can one identify, what he is buying? Also, how the different versions differ in characteristics.
    not sure what the differences of the older and newer ones are or how to tell the difference, I have a 30 year old version plasmat design? it's great to enlarge with and to do copy work.
    and .... https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ron-casket-set

Drew Wiley

G-Clarons were a line of Schneider graphics and repro lenses going many decades back which sometimes did double-duty as enlarging and tabletop studio lenses, and included examples with a dagor formulation. The later better-corrected plasmat ones are the kind which Schneider marketed in shutter for studio close-up purposes, which then caught on for general photography once people realized how versatile they are. At that point, Schneider dropped the manufacture of the last of their official Kern Dagor series because the G-Claron was a better performer in their view, and quite a bit easier to make (per a personal conversation with someone from Schneider).

A link to the answer is in "the list" in the Schneider LF lenses section. If you don't know what the list is, please ask.

Lachlan 717

Do a search here about their S/Ns. I think they transitioned from Dagor to Plasmat around 11xxxxxx.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Th G-Claron was a so called "flat field lens".
    I used it for art reproductions, mine was a 210mm, it is great lens (but not that fast)!
    I sold it long time ago along wit my Sinar Norma 13x18.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHDG1021.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	243419