Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hello from the smoke

Re: hello from the smoke

By 'the smoke' I thought you meant Los Angeles at the moment. We're having such brushfires nearby that I felt like a smoker must feel today.

Ash,
    You aught to be taking The Razzel, you saved up and waited for a hand held 4x5. The Turner should be a good oppertunity to use it . Doubt if theyr'll be another one there.
    Enjoy yourself,
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I'll be in the smoke tomorrow, but for Francis Bacon, Turner Prize, and Annie Leibovitz
    London is great for gallerys, the Leibovitz show is fantastic, hope you enjoyed it Ash.
    For anyone who doesn't know; London was called 'The Smoke' in victorian times due to all the smog created by the many thousands of coal fires that every building used to cook and heat with.

Smog, gawd, I remember them. They used to shut the cinemas 'cos you couldn't see the screen and the busses all gave up the ghost. Bert Hardy took some wonderful photographs in London smogs though. They reckon that Jack The Ripper made the most of them as well (:-))
    Pete

In fact the only time I took the Razzle to London was last year for a protest march. I put the pics up on here for critique and got about 6 pages worth...

Leibovitz was alright but it was too busy and people were bashing into me just because I'm ginger. In all seriousness I can't enjoy a busy exhibition. Bacon was again very good but busy, a different atmosphere though and much larger scale. Turner Prize wasn't as spectacular as I'd hoped. It was dampened by a security guard not letting me walk through an installation piece - as an art student I know not to touch or kick over stuff, but he was only doing his jobsworth.

No point taking a camera to exhibitions now, they get touchy about photo taking. The odd snap on phonecam is non-chalant. I think a 5x4 might be a tad obvious!

I'll be in Londinium on the 1st at the British Museum for the Babylonian exhibition and may be around before then as well.

If there are any members here planning on being in London on a weekday I can bring the Razzle down and push some film to 800-ish